Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-15-2009

genieskip is on a distinguished road
I put a three blade Max on my boat last year and love the thing. Little drag and good power transfer - a lot better than the Martec that was there before. I was seriously looking at the Autoprop but the guy in the boat next to mine last winter had one and he loved it except (according to him) when he hit a sharp chop and the blades refeatherd and the had a hard time getting going again. I have no idea if this problem is generic or specific to his boat, but it was enough to discourage me from getting one.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2009

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
I wandered into the PYI (makers of the Max-Prop) factory a couple of months ago.

I found out something that might be of interest to you.

They sell used, reconditioned Max-Props.. They are about 30% less than new ones.

So, if you're thinking about buying one, you might call them up and see if they have a used one in the size you want.

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 02-15-2009
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkhard View Post
If anybody has experience with this and has a link for a source it would be greatly appreciated.
Autoprop Adaptor page
Old 02-17-2009

captmikem is on a distinguished road
I have had a couple of Max props on different boats. I have had little or no trouble with them and I like the way they run, feather, and give extra power astern. I while ago I bought an HR 42 with a Max prop. It was well worn and at the first haulout I sent it in to be serviced. It came back looking like a piece of jewlery, and performed perfectly. It is easy to change the pitch at haulout. I have no experience with an autoprop.
Old 02-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
It is easy to change the pitch at haulout.
An experienced diver can do it in the water for probably less money and certainly less inconvenience than a haulout.
Old 02-18-2009

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
An experienced diver can do it in the water for probably less money and certainly less inconvenience than a haulout.
I disagee with that statement if you are referring to the max prop. Being both a certified diver and a max prop owner for the past 20 plus years, I would not want to change the pitch under water. In fact, I need an extra pair of hands when changing that pitch on the hard. It's difficult lineing up the blades to get them set into the exact groves. Other than that the prop has been great!
Old 02-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
I disagee with that statement if you are referring to the max prop. Being both a certified diver and a max prop owner for the past 20 plus years, I would not want to change the pitch under water.
Well, I disagree with your disagreement. I have installed, removed and repitched many, many Max Props with a 100% success rate, all of them underwater. In fact, if you were to call PYI and ask them for a diver to do such work in the Bay Area, they'd point you to me. They recommend divers all over the country that service Max Props underwater. For someone experienced and properly equipped, it's no big deal.

BTW, I have never lost a part. Even if I did, PYI have assured me they would Next Day Air a replacement at no cost.

Last edited by Fstbttms; 02-18-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-22-2009

cutterorient is on a distinguished road
fixed prop

I bought a boat with a new ( 135 hours) engine, drivetrain, and feathering propeller. A very expensive type of prop mind you. I was excited ! no drag under sail, power thrust in both directions, all that jazz.

Never again. It popped the key twice, once in an extremely dangerous situation on a large river woth tons of commercial traffic, current, and no wind. That and damage to my hard working, no complaints rudder.

I replaced with the Campbell Sailor. It is made of a single piece of metal, produces gobs of thrust, much better balanced than any one with moving parts. I will never own a prop with more than one piece again. Oh, the campbell cost 1/4 as much as the prop it replaced.
Old 08-05-2009

tilpot is on a distinguished road
Kiwi Feathering Prop

If you happen to be in the UK, Kiwiprop have a stand at the Southampton Boat Show (11th-20th September 2009). They will be inside the Ocean Hall, at stand G10
Old 08-06-2009

philsboat is on a distinguished road
A friend with a C & C 36 hit a piece of wood with his Maxprop and one blade stripped its gears.Insurance paid for a replacement so he changed to a Gori which seems a lot more robust.He was told you can't replace damaged parts in a Maxprop.

Phil