Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-12-2009
TiggerToo

TiggerToo is on a distinguished road
For those interested in Kiwi I had one fitted to my Feeling 36 when I bought her 18 months ago. As I've only sailed with this prop I can't offer any direct comparisons, but I can report two minor maintenance issues (or rather, good service issues). I can also say that the previous owner thought reversing on the old fixed two-blade prop was sometimes "interesting" and on the Kiwi I have found the boat delightfully manoueverable in both directions, so there is probably truth in the reduced prop kick argument.

Firstly at first year maintenanace my boat yard reported stailess steel pins were badly corroded (but not failed) - UK Kiwi agent immedately sent titanium replacements foc. I understand titanium pins are now standard.

Second, heavy vibration in gear last weekend pointed to a prop problem. My boatyard attended quickly and found one Kiwi blade "stop" missing; probably a rope snag had done it. I haven't knowlingly snagged a rope, although there was that strange hesitation in Loch Aline ... Again Kiwi have supplied the part overnight (and we are talking about semi-remote location) and all's fixed.

Added to the two impressively speedy parts, Kiwi were able to customise and supply the prop at very short notice in the first place, and I've had no reason to doubt or change the pitch settings.

So, 10/10 for (UK) service, and I accept that something with moving parts is going to be more vulnerable than a bronze cast. I love to think of those blades feathering when not in use.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2009

rmorris001 is on a distinguished road
Have a Max Prop on my 44 foot Bristol -- recently purchased. Surveyor suggested replacing it with a regular cruise prop. According to him I'd increase my RPM and have fewer problems, whatever those problems might be. Advise pro or con, please?
Old 08-31-2009

redcobra is on a distinguished road
Love my maxprop. Installation was not that difficult (sawing off the end of the shaft was scary) and I can change the pitch when I pull it (I think I need a little more). I can now back into the slip!!!
Old 09-01-2009

Maxprop seems to be working fine for me, too. Believe I'll just stick with it.
Old 09-01-2009
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris001 View Post
Have a Max Prop on my 44 foot Bristol -- recently purchased. Surveyor suggested replacing it with a regular cruise prop. According to him I'd increase my RPM and have fewer problems, whatever those problems might be. Advise pro or con, please?
Sounds like your surveyor doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.
Old 09-02-2009

davmarwood is on a distinguished road
Max Prop

We bought our 35' Beneteau in Oct. '07 and the PO had installed a MaxProp in '06. We used it all throughout the '08 season and also this '09 season with no problems. In the light air of the Chesapeake, I have noticed we can creep up and pass other similar boats. So, the reports of .5 knot advantage seem realistic to me. Reversing gives a moment of prop walk to port until sternway allows the rudder to affect the direction of the boat. Once sternway commences, it steers as well in reverse as in forward. Docking stern-in is a snap. I have no experience with other folding/feathering props, so I can't compare, but I am totally satisfied with our MaxProp,and would recommend it to anyone wanting a foldng/feathering prop. Cost might be an issue, as these items are not cheap. On our boat the list is around $2800 for one of these props before installation. Fortunately for us, the PO absorbed this cost. One note of caution is that these props need annual service as recommended by the manufacturer. If they are not serviced as recommended, they will fail to perform properly.
Old 09-03-2009

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davmarwood View Post
. One note of caution is that these props need annual service as recommended by the manufacturer. If they are not serviced as recommended, they will fail to perform properly.
I too like the max prop having installed one on my current boat back in 1985 and it's still doing fine. I routinely haul out about every three years here on the Cheaspeake and at that time I repack the prop with the proper grease and replace the zinc. Sometimes I do dive on the boat to change the zinc after about a year and a half, but the yearly service is something that I have not done for the past 24 years. FWIW I also paint the prop with bottom paint which is not recommended although I do prep it first with the Interlux underwater primer. Even though this has worked for me, your results may very and yearly maintenance if fine.
Old 09-03-2009

Maxprop

Thanks for the information and the tips. Very helpful. I'm keeping the Maxprop. It hasn't caused me any problems so I have no complaints.
Old 02-05-2011

Nelsoncw is on a distinguished road
I have an Autoprop on my Catalina 42. AB Marine had rebuilt the prop in 2007. In May of 2009 and 225 hours later a blade came off. Buntons Marine replaced the blade for $1500. I had it lubricated every six months. I am always in deep water. It never touched anything but saltwater. I only go to Catalina and back. Other than the lost blade there was not any evidence of damage or distress.

At the time Steve Armitage of AB Marine told me that losing a blade was a rare occurrence and that he did not have an explanation for why the blade fell off. David Sheppard of Brunton's Propellers Ltd, told me losing a blade is an “an exceptional case”. Contrary to their comments the prop has been subject to a recall for lost blades. If you search other support groups and blogs you will find many others that have lost Autoprop blades. It demeans their credibility to say otherwise.

Although I enjoy the performance of my Autoprop my experience with AB Marine and Brunton's Propellers has been extremely disappointing. They are unwilling to stand behind their expensive product. In all their replies I feel like I am hearing from a politician trying not to give a straight answer.
Old 02-05-2011

RichH will become famous soon enough
If you 'shift' from reverse to forward a lot, as for the need to 'back and fill', etc. into and out of a slip, etc. the Max prop will eventually loosen at the blade roots and the blades will then begin to 'wobble'. Obviously with a Max you must/should idle 'all the way down' when shifting; but, the need to sometimes shift quickly will 'hammer out' and loosen the blade roots / blade spindles.