Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-06-2009
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
Technology breakthrough's (as least for me)

Thought I'd share a few tech breakthroughs.

Tech Breakthrough 1
Just got a Rogers Rocket Stick about a month ago (it's a USB wireless stick) I set my prawn gear about 10min ago and my location is 50deg01.65N 124deg56.725W off twin islands, desolation sound and I get great 3G internet coverage. So for the Pacific Northwester's, the coverage is very good, although if I go more into desolation sound, the coverage is limited and spotty. I know this is not exactly a tech breakthrough but this new rocket is on a 3G network, the price is real good and the speed is real good and I can stay out here and get my work done as I am doing now.

Tech Breakthrough 2 (not so much)
I tried (out here) hooking up to the new Google Latidudes "Locate me" thingy and when I plug in my phone number in the Google setup window I get back a text message to my cell phone which is what should happen. But when I reply with a text message I get an error message "Invalid Destination", so I guess it doesn't work out here or it doesn't like my LG cell phone or it doesn't like Canada, who knows. I also tried plugging in my Rogers Rocket number and it took it but who knows what happened after that.

Tech Breakthrough 3
Just got a call from the marina. They found my keys!. That was great and I didn't know I lost them. They found them in the pad lock to the dumpster on the wharf. To find me, they pushed the remote panic button and my SUV started honking at em. I owe them a bottle of wine when I get back, so there is a cost to these new techy advancements.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse

Last edited by Bilgewater; 03-16-2009 at 05:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2009
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
of topic - that's a cool looking boat you have there
Old 02-07-2009
Hmmm

Well thanks Brak, you just made my week...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 02-07-2009

chandlerman is on a distinguished road
We've been playing with Latitudes at work (since I both work for a cell phone company and am in the Security organization, so we fully expect to be asked for an official internal opinion any time).

I fully expect to make maximum use of it once sailing season starts.

To get it to work with your cell phone, install (or upgrade to) the newest version of Google Maps on your cell phone. If you can run that, it has Latitudes built into the latest version. You'll need either real or triangulated GPS to make it update your position automagically, however.

I've found Google Maps w/ GPS on a smart phone to be one of the more useful hi-tech tools out there for things like getting in and out of unfamiliar harbors--and as someone who doesn't care to pay for a chartplotter, it's a bargain to boot.

I love having my position plotted over a recent satellite photo (No it's not an alternative to having and using a brain, but it does augment quite nicely). It's also pretty handy for finding and then getting walking directions from the dock to the nearest restaurant or bar :-) .
Old 02-08-2009
Hmmm

[quote=chandlerman;444848]To get it to work with your cell phone, install (or upgrade to) the newest version of Google Maps on your cell phone. If you can run that, it has Latitudes built into the latest version. You'll need either real or triangulated GPS to make it update your position automagically, however.

Unfortunately, my phone is incompatible with this. It's too bad, I really wanted to try this out, but I guess when I inevitably drop this one in the chuck I'll be able to upgrade and get with the times.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse