Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-07-2009

Pub911 is on a distinguished road
Barnicles on my prop?

At haul-out time, my bronze prop is always full of hard growth around the center and out to about 1/3 of the way up the blades, even if I paint these areas with ablative anti-fouling paint (Micron-CSC). I'm guessing it's like this for the better part of the season as well. Data: Long Island Sound, 10" 2-blade prop, boat sits for as much as 2 weeks at a time during the summer without moving (I know, that's the REAL problem!!! )

It looks awful, but is it bad?

And if it is, what can I do besides diving in and cleaning it off by hand a few times a season?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2009

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Petit makes a paint specifically intended for props to minimize growth - Petit Barrnacle Barrier paint - in a spray can and I am told my those who have used it that it works as well or better than anything else. My sole experience is using it last season for the first time and upon haul, the prop was FREE of any growth after 8 months in the water with little use.

Typical bottom paint is useless for and on props and could conceivably exacerbate electrolysis. If you want to try something, use the tool intended for that purpose.
Old 02-07-2009

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
Another thing I have hear about but havn't heard any ones results is a product called Propspeed but it is expensive and a pain to put on your better off to try the petit stuff first.
Old 02-07-2009

paulk is on a distinguished road
We've had similar issues with growth on our prop. Painting the bronze with Micron CSC does cut the growth to a good degree, but the paint wears off the tips of the blades too fast, and the remaining paint ends up in pitting the bronze because of electrolytic action: not good. We've also found that there's less growth when the zincs on our strut aren't replaced... The greenery seems not to like the galvanic charge-- but this also eats up the bronze. I had thought to simply spray paint the prop and strut with the stuff they use for outboards, but it calls for a special metal primer undercoat (yellow, IIRC), to isolate the topcoat from the metal underneath. This is actually what you should use before applying the Micron CSC anyway, so that's what we plan to do this spring. Luckily, we read the label on the spray can before deciding not to buy it.
Old 02-08-2009

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
When I bought my yawl, the prop was crusty with barnacles. The Old Crank at the boatyard told me to leave the zinc off the shaft. He said that on the mooring, with limited electrical equipment, I wouldn't need it. He was right. I painted the prop with antifouling, left the zinc off, and had no problems with barnacles or electrolysis. I'm also in LI Sound. Maybe the paint didn't wear out because I rarely motor much, or maybe my prop rpms were lower.
Old 02-08-2009

bdwr1962 is on a distinguished road
the zinc coat barnacle barrier would be better than the copper oxide based antifouling, regardless of brand. Who wants galvanic corrosion from disimilar metals?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-08-2009

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
You might try PropSpeed (PropSpeed USA, Inc. ) I used it last year and it seemed to keep most of the creepy critters off the prop. It's expensive (in the class of "magic in a can"), but it seems to work. You can get at West Marine (West Marine: PropSpeed Product Display)
Old 02-08-2009

bdwr1962 is on a distinguished road
Propspeed is a very good product. It is very expensive, and very finicky application. If you go that route, it's one of those read the instructions two to three times, follow it to the letter, and apply once. Effective, expense, finicky application.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-08-2009
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road
I applied Pettit's Transducer Paint to both my and my brothers running gear last spring at the advice of a local salt.

Was pleasantly surprised at how clean the prop & shaft looked on both the boats when we pulled in the fall. There was some growth, but it was minimal (6-10 small barnacles at most). Granted we are in brackish waters on the Chesapeake, but I will be reapplying it again in the spring.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 02-09-2009
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
I am trying Seajet Pellor Clean which is less than 1/2 the price of Prop Speed. It has been working well for the people that have tried it in my area. A link is here Solas Propellers - Aluminum & Stainless, all brands - buy online. Budget Marine has it listed in their catalog for $75 which is about what I paid.