SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Radar Detectors at Sea? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/51305-radar-detectors-sea.html)

rjg23 02-08-2009 07:45 PM

Radar Detectors at Sea?

Just finished watching a video of guy going solo across the Atlantic. He didn't have radar but did have a radar detector that let him know when other boats/ships were in the area. Would he have had just a standard auto detector or would he have had something more sophisticated?

bubb2 02-08-2009 08:01 PM

probability using the C.A.R.D. system.
SURVIVAL SAFETY ENGINEERING

Joesaila 02-08-2009 08:13 PM

U R a CARD

Like that! Likely it draws a lot less power too.

SimonV 02-08-2009 09:12 PM

But it can not warn you of the other vessel relying on the CARD or not using radar.

seabreeze_97 02-08-2009 10:10 PM

Yes, a simple automotive detector will work. The cheaper ones that aren't as discriminating and just respond to any radar signal, or a better one on maximum sensitivity (less error correction) will be effective. I read an account once where some Air Force types were testing a theory. Head-to-head, F-4's vs F-5's. The F-5 was a small sporty fighter (they played the part of the menacing black Migs on "Top Gun". Anyway, the F-5 was a budget fighter (essentially along the same lines as the later F-16 was to the F-15). The F-4 was at the other end. It had powerful radar and missiles, where the F-5 was a lightweight (no radar). In the F-4's realm, the F-5 would be picked up beyond visual range, and could be taken out by radar-guided missiles with no warning for the F-5 pilots. In mock engagements, the F-5's never had a chance. Then the boys, to see if the technology could be defeated, made a trip to a local electronics store and each F-5 went back up with it's own automotive radar detector and for under $100 bucks they then had a passive radar warning system. Soon as the detectors started chirping, the F-5's would dive for the deck. This neutralized the radar capability of the F-4's. Then the F-5's were able to get in close and score mock guns kills since the F-4's had extreme difficulty shaking off an F-5. Point being, it'll work. Now, how well it manages in a salty marine environment.....?

zaliasvejas 04-01-2009 12:24 AM

I just got one as a gift... made by Tamaya, with a curious clear "antena" Tried it out at the dock and it seems to work. Very directional, though.... it will certainly point at a boat almost perfectly. Has two modes, sound and needle mode. Needle mode seems to be a lot more sensitive.
My question is.... how do you make the first contact? It would not react to a radar without the device being pointed at it... maybe I was too far away?
Has any one used such a devise? The name of it is "Marine Check" radar detector by Tamaya.
thanks