Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-09-2009
Seinor Member

capn_dave is on a distinguished road
Hello again Jason

First of all I agree with Cam about touching up Awlgrip. It just wont match. Yes you can buff out Awlgrip. The problem is, you will remove the clear coat and the shine will not last. When Awlgrip is applied there is a clear coat in the paint, as the paint cures the clear coat rises to the surface. This gives the shine. Once the clear coat is removed, no more gloss unless kept waxed. The scratches on your boat are through the Awlgrip. IE no paint there.

At my marina when a customer signs the work order, they are signing a release also. Scratched paint on hulls are excluded from our liability. Now thats not to say that we wont fix scratched paint, I find it better to fix it then argue with a customer. Most are understanding. In the picture of you boat in the lift, I notice the pads. We use carpet along with the paper. It takes about 6 months for Awlgrip to fully cure. We are extra careful.
Remember fenders can scratch Awlgrip.
As for my boat, I would never paint it. I just had a new gelcoat job done. It gives me piece of mind when I come crashing into a dock and hit that fender board, that I can just buff out a scratch. If It's a deep scratch I can fill it and reapply gelcoat.
How's that for a political answer. I talked my way around the whole subject and never told you anything.

Fair Winds
Dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2009

121Guy is on a distinguished road
Paint and Travelifts

Hi Jason,

What I would do is take some before lift out photos and after lift out photos and tell the yard you want it to look like the before pics. If they balk, you may want to get an estimate from a reputable painter and present it to them. You may also want to ask for their insurance carrier and speak to yours as well. Do they spray in that yard? If the paint job is five years old, perhaps they used Awlcraft 2000 instead of Awlgrip. This paint is much easier to work with and touch up. It is still very hard to get a good match though as time and sun change the paint quite a bit.

My haulout drill now for my Awlcraft 2000 painted boat includes always being there when they haul. I am on the deck as the slings are positioned. I pre position 4 thick terry cloth towels which I have put gromets in on top with some small lines tied to the rails in the position of the sling. I make sure the towel sits between the sling and the paint all the way down the hull on all four points. Sometimes the yard has to lower the slings a couple of times before I'm happy. Never had any sling damage since I started this.

Let us know the name of this yard and how you settle up with them.

Good luck,

121Guy
Old 02-09-2009

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
I would think any reputable yard would repair the topside paint damage to your satisfaction - doesn't make for good dock talk..
I know some will say Awlgrip cannot be buffed without consequential damage but that is not entirely true. It is better to buff that area(s) rather than repaint them as you will never get a proper color match with a 5 yr old paint job. As far as buffing, it can remove the clear coating which rises to the surface of a cured paint job but if done properly, the loss will be minimal and easily mitigated by application of clear coat. All of which may be moot in that the scratches appear to penetrate through to the glass and gelcoat.
Old 02-09-2009

jason3317 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_dave View Post
Yes you can buff out Awlgrip. The problem is, you will remove the clear coat and the shine will not last.
Yes, that's a non-option in my book. No way. Once the clear coat is burned away...the finish is done...it'll look like crap.

Quote:
At my marina when a customer signs the work order, they are signing a release also. Scratched paint on hulls are excluded from our liability. Now thats not to say that we wont fix scratched paint, I find it better to fix it then argue with a customer.
I don't argue that point, but it's like taking your car to the automatic car wash...."we're not responsible".

From my perspective, this all boils down to a standard of care that a reasonable person would apply.

Quote:
Remember fenders can scratch Awlgrip.
Yep...I have fleece covers on ALL my fenders.

Thanks for your perspective, I definitely appreciate it...keeping me grounded!
Old 02-09-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I wasn't present for the haul of my current boat but I did check and there were no noticeable marks from the straps. The yard I used last year had long strips of something like packing wrap that were abut half again as wide as the strap. As the boat was being lifted, they inserted these strips between the strap and hull from below the waterline. This was on a cruddy gray hull on a 1988 boat, so I just assumed it must be standard operating proceedure, Im sure I wasn't getting any special treatment. It seemed to me to be cheap insurance against the kind of issue you have experienced and would save the yard money in the long run. The strips would be good for several hauls and the cost of one paint job would pay for a several season supply.

Good Luck with getting your issue resolved. I hope you can come to an equitable resolution.
Old 02-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121Guy View Post
Hi Jason,

What I would do is take some before lift out photos and after lift out photos and tell the yard you want it to look like the before pics. If they balk, you may want to get an estimate from a reputable painter and present it to them. You may also want to ask for their insurance carrier and speak to yours as well. Do they spray in that yard? If the paint job is five years old, perhaps they used Awlcraft 2000 instead of Awlgrip. This paint is much easier to work with and touch up. It is still very hard to get a good match though as time and sun change the paint quite a bit.
It's Awlgrip....5 coats of Flag Blue + 2 clear coat layers...it was done in winter of 2006.

They do a fair amount of spray here...right now there is a Lyman Morse in the booth, it followed a Morris 36 into the booth...so there ARE competent folk in the shop...but I think the travellift guys were off their game that day they hauled me.

I'm going to give BoatUS a call this week to give em a heads up. I will wait to hear a response from the yard before I go further up the chain...it's my strong desire to handle this privately and amicably...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121Guy View Post
My haulout drill now for my Awlcraft 2000 painted boat includes always being there when they haul. I am on the deck as the slings are positioned. I pre position 4 thick terry cloth towels which I have put gromets in on top with some small lines tied to the rails in the position of the sling. I make sure the towel sits between the sling and the paint all the way down the hull on all four points. Sometimes the yard has to lower the slings a couple of times before I'm happy. Never had any sling damage since I started this.
Yeah, I asked them to call me an hour prior to haul...but I couldn't get out of the office that day. This boat has been hauled at least 4-5 times since I had it painted and never had an issue...it was always well protected from the slings. I'll know better next time.
Old 02-09-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
I guess..

I guess you guys have a different view of "reputable" than we do in Maine. That is a hack job and is the most disgusting thing I've seen in a while.

Had they been dredging the harbor with their travel lift prior to hauling your boat? Sorry but it's time to have the conversation and if no luck there a lawyer and a new boat yard..

This is how most reputable yards launch and haul boats. I have never even had a small scratch..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 02-09-2009

Janssen is on a distinguished road
Awlgrip Scratches

The marina where I keep my boat (Old Bay Marina in Baltimore) powerwashes the straps and then covers the straps with two layers of heavy 6 mil plastic wrap.

Sailboat bottoms come in all shapes and odd angles and straps do slip sometimes until they settle in. Looks like your marina's straps had sand/gravel or barnacle shells on them. My marina would never lift a boat without washing or covering the straps.

Awlgrip is very difficult to repair - next time have your hull done in Awlcraft, as it can easily be repaired and looks almost as good a Awlgrip. Do not be too hard on your marina - they are lifting many tons with two cloth straps - pretty amazing when you think about it. I very dangerous job for a few dollars per foot!

Dr. George
Old 02-09-2009

Maine - now that's what I am talking about. Can you send that crew down to the Chesapeake? I mean....that lift actually had tread on its tires!
Old 02-09-2009

Pub911 is on a distinguished road
I've had good luck with a 3m product called Finess-it. There's a hand and machine version. I used the hand version. But this was on minor scratches that abraded the surface but did not penetrate to the primer. And the paint was Awlgrip II - a bit more forgiving. They buffed out, but did leave a slight 'halo' affect noticable at 3 ft away.

I'd say get a new paint job from the yard or elsewhere.

How's your insurance - don't forget it's your Ins. Co's job to work things out on your behalf if you're properly covered.