Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-09-2009

jason3317 is on a distinguished road
Awlgrip Ruined from Haulout

Looking for some feedback on the attached pictures. Here's the story:

I wasn't present for the haulout, but I am guessing there was no foam pads on the slings. This damage represents gross incompetence in my opinion.

The hull damages are inexcusable; this was a $7.5K awlgrip job completed less than 5 years ago.

Will it have to totally repainted to repair properly? There are 4 areas of damage - one forward and aft on each side of the hull from the lifting straps. I've only uploaded pics of the worst area.

I am going to talk to them in person again, but I was not confident when the owner indicated they would polish/buff the scratches prior to re-launch.

The boat was hauled at a reputable marine yard - they do lots of awlgrip...one would think they'd have know better.

Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Awlgrip Ruined from Haulout-picture-004.jpg   Awlgrip Ruined from Haulout-picture-005.jpg   Awlgrip Ruined from Haulout-picture-043.jpg   Awlgrip Ruined from Haulout-picture-044.jpg  

Last edited by jason3317; 02-09-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2009

Coreyboy18 is on a distinguished road
I didn't have that problem...

...but when he was loading the boat on my trailer he did scratch the keel a little bit on the trailer which is really no problem, it buffed right out. However, there was no padding used to go between the straps and my boat. $7/ft wasn't too bad at all, and $68 to take the mast down.
Attached Thumbnails
Awlgrip Ruined from Haulout-photo_020609_001.jpg   Awlgrip Ruined from Haulout-photo_020609_002.jpg  

Lake Pontchartrain and beyond (hopefully)
1978 Ranger 23
Old 02-09-2009
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Wow. I didn't realize you could buff paint that had been removed. I'm trying to figure out what caused the diagonal scratches.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 02-09-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason3317 View Post
Looking for some feedback on the attached pictures. Here's the story:

I wasn't present for the haulout, but I am guessing there was no foam pads on the slings. This damage represents gross incompetence in my opinion.

The hull damages are inexcusable; this was a $7.5K awlgrip job completed less than 5 years ago.

Will it have to totally repainted to repair properly? There are 4 areas of damage - one forward and aft on each side of the hull from the lifting straps. I've only uploaded pics of the worst area.

I am going to talk to them in person again, but I was not confident when the owner indicated they would polish/buff the scratches prior to re-launch.

The boat was hauled at a reputable marine yard - they do lots of awlgrip...one would think they'd have know better.

Jason
This doesn't look good to me at all. It's as if there was a lot of crap on the straps (perhaps from the previous lift?) Can't blame you for being upset.

Whether it will buff out or not remains to be seen... certainly try that at the yard's expense. Localized repairs to Awlgrip paint jobs are difficult/impossible to do well - even by the experts.

I wish you luck dealing with this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-09-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
It will only "buff out" if there is NO damage to the paint. If the scratches are IN the paint...the ONLY fix is a complete new paint job if the paint is 5 years old. We couldn't even get an unnoticable match on our 1 month old awlgrip when the yard that painted it tried afted scratching it. They re-did the entire side of the boat
Old 02-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by US27inKS View Post
Wow. I didn't realize you could buff paint that had been removed. I'm trying to figure out what caused the diagonal scratches.
The diagonal scratches are from the lifting straps sliding up to their final positions as the hull is being lifted.
Old 02-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
It will only "buff out" if there is NO damage to the paint. If the scratches are IN the paint...the ONLY fix is a complete new paint job if the paint is 5 years old.
Yeah, there sure is plenty of damage to the paint; these are NOT surface scratches - 1/16 - 1/8" gouges in the area I showed in the pictures.

I am drafting my letter to the boatyard now....sigh. It is always something.
Old 02-09-2009
Seinor Member

capn_dave is on a distinguished road
To be honest with you

I have never heard of foam pads placed on lifting straps. What I do is pressure wash the straps before a lift, if they have any crud on them. Then I have the crew put paper on the straps for extra protection. Ant strap can slip a bit depending on the keel. If there is a fast taper up from the keel, we will allways tie the straps to reduce slippage.

Fair Winds
Dave
Old 02-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_dave View Post
I have never heard of foam pads placed on lifting straps. What I do is pressure wash the straps before a lift, if they have any crud on them. Then I have the crew put paper on the straps for extra protection. Ant strap can slip a bit depending on the keel. If there is a fast taper up from the keel, we will allways tie the straps to reduce slippage.

Fair Winds
Dave
I think the point here is that you do have your crew put SOMETHING on the lifting straps to protect the hullsides - especially with an Awlgripped hull.

The straps were tied, and in fact, the ties created more damage.

Dave, are you saying that the yard should not be responsible for this damage? How would you have handled in your marina? Would you have notfied the customer?

Last edited by jason3317; 02-09-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-09-2009

A proper haul technique

Btw, here is a picture of my boat the last time it was hauled (different marina). If you look closely, the light blue area on the straps are actually foam pads that were wrapped around / taped to the lifting straps. The foam pads were new or in like new condition. (The travelift...well, not so new).

But, the most important thing to note....no damage to the paint using this process.
Attached Thumbnails
Awlgrip Ruined from Haulout-005.jpg  

Last edited by jason3317; 02-09-2009 at 05:13 PM.