Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-09-2009

winterbuoy is on a distinguished road
SD, you have one of these Nano things? Are they a hassle to set up and what else do you need? Went through so many usb internet crap, they all screw up.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I just ordered two, based on using them on three different boats, since my friends have them. Since they're an ethernet bridge, there is no driver problem, since it uses the regular ethernet driver on your machine. One is going to be used to create a bridge at one of my client's offices and the other is destined for my boat.

It uses a web browser to configure the Nano Station 2. If you want information on the configuration process, click here.

Since there's no software to install, there are really NO CONFLICTS to worry about, regardless of what OS or machine you use. Totally compatible with any modern OS that can use a web browser and supports an ethernet card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbuoy View Post
SD, you have one of these Nano things? Are they a hassle to set up and what else do you need? Went through so many usb internet crap, they all screw up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-11-2009

AaronOnTheHudson is on a distinguished road
portable cell phone or usb broadband routers

I have a blackberry with an internet data plan, so I was thinking about getting a PHS300 personal router (cradlepoint.com). You can plug a data plan powered cell phone into it and it will act as a wireless internet router for your computer(s). It even has a Li Ion battery! Probably not a setup for a distance cruiser... but might be a great option for short trips. Note: I can connect my blackberry directly to my computer which would probably be a better use of power. But if you have more than 2 devices that use internet such as the iPod Touch the router could be handy. Also the router I mentioned can be used with a versizon/sprint/etc broadband USB device (you would have to pay for a plan).
2005 Catalina 250 WK #847
Old 03-20-2009
Banned

jandy is on a distinguished road
Marine WiFi -The Good, The Bad and The Un-reasonably Priced

I am a blue water sailor/owner gearing up my 50' Sparkman Stephens sloop for world travel. I have an extensive background in computers, servers, electronics, optical fibre networks, broadcasting, manufacturing and the such. Becoming very unhappy with the SAD STATE of the whole marine WiFi hardware and services situation; poor config's, HIGH priced-low quality gear, seeing confusing and BAD information from individuals all over the net that have no idea what they are talking about, extremely expensive SAT systems and well, you know the rest, etc. I decided to design and build my own system. [EDIT]

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 03-21-2009 at 07:35 AM. Reason: No commercial posts or solicitations, please.
Old 03-20-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Jandy—

Thanks for spamming us... The Ubiquiti NanoStation 2 works very well and is all of $80.

JRP—

Thanks...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-21-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-23-2009

jarcher is on a distinguished road
What do you guys connect to at the other end, on shore? Does your marina sell wifi connectivity?
Old 03-23-2009
Telstar 28

Jarcher—

My marina provides it free of charge as an amenity to keeping the boat there.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-23-2009

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Jarcher—

My marina provides it free of charge as an amenity to keeping the boat there.
Ha, not mine! The owner is a great guy but I think computers are well outside his field of expertise. It was occuring to me that there might be a business opportunity here.
Old 03-23-2009
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Our marina has free Wifi, and there are several others around here in PNW. We have had good luck finding a hot spot in most populated areas.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 03-23-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
"Hot spots" are available all over these days.. we anchored off a tiny village in Mexico last month (La Manzinilla, not be to confused with the much larger Manzinillo 30 miles south) and got good unsecured wifi 1/4 mile off the beach.

It's more hit than miss these days, it seems.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)