Not a Member? 
Old 03-23-2009

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Yup, it's hard to compete with free
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2009

fawcettm is on a distinguished road
Smile WiFi Bridge

Sailingdog, forgive me cause I dont know that much about WiFI bridges but with the nanostation 2 it connectss to an existing WiFi access point say a distance away, gets an IP address and then relays the signal to another WiFi card on my computer?
So I configure it to WPA or what ever kind of signal I an trying to retrieve?

Thanks

Mark
Old 04-30-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
No. The NS2 is a WiFi to Ethernet bridge. Your computer would get the network communcations by its wired ethernet port. The NS2 converts the WiFi signal into a wired ethernet signal... you don't use the WiFi card on your computer at all.

I would recommend you read this WiFi primer that I wrote a few years back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawcettm View Post
Sailingdog, forgive me cause I dont know that much about WiFI bridges but with the nanostation 2 it connectss to an existing WiFi access point say a distance away, gets an IP address and then relays the signal to another WiFi card on my computer?
So I configure it to WPA or what ever kind of signal I an trying to retrieve?

Thanks

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-01-2009

WiFi Bridge

Thanks, I read the primer, so really the bridge is acting like a high power wireless card. Sorry I couldnt understand why I would use an access point or setup my own wireless network to get wireless network, I am too used to using wireless or routers to setup a network for home. It never dawned on me to use it this way.
what distances are you getting with this configuration? and is it hard to setup for other locations when you are on the move? Do you find that there are alot of open networks? or do you pay alot?

thanks, this is helping, I went to a weather seminar last night expecting to learn how to predict weather, and it seems nowadays predicting means going to the internet.....thus wireless.....

Mark
Old 05-01-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawcettm View Post
Thanks, I read the primer, so really the bridge is acting like a high power wireless card.
Yes, basically, it is a high-gain wifi card attached to a ethernet interface. [/quote]Sorry I couldnt understand why I would use an access point or setup my own wireless network to get wireless network, I am too used to using wireless or routers to setup a network for home. It never dawned on me to use it this way.
what distances are you getting with this configuration? [/quote]
I setup a terrestrial link, using the NS2s that is about 2.5 miles... but that is in a relatively rural setting, without much in the way of additional radio interference. The NS2 is designed for WAN WiFi links, and is specced to reach as far as 15 KM under the proper conditions.
Quote:

and is it hard to setup for other locations when you are on the move?
Configuration of the NS2 takes a bit of getting used to, as it uses a web-based interface. However, one major advantage of the NS2 is that it avoids any driver configuration/stability issues, unlike many of the USB-based solutions. A second advantage is that it means you don't have to continually muck with the WiFi settings in your laptop either. Finally, it does have the advantage of being able to be hoisted a good way up the mast without the resulting signal losses or need for a booster USB cable that using a traditional amplified antenna or USB-based device would create.
Quote:
Do you find that there are alot of open networks? or do you pay alot?

thanks, this is helping, I went to a weather seminar last night expecting to learn how to predict weather, and it seems nowadays predicting means going to the internet.....thus wireless.....

Mark
From the war-driving I've done, I've found that open wireless networks are pretty common. Jiwire.com is a website that has a fairly large database of them. Personally, I'm against open WiFi networks, and see them as a security risk... which is why I wrote the WiFi security primer in the first place.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Last edited by sailingdog; 05-01-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-01-2009

WiFi Bridge

This is getting alot clearer.....so I am sailing for the day, get to my next anchorage, haul the antenna up the mast. Does the antenna then see the available networks? I choose the open ones to connect to or go ashore and find out the local secured WEP or WPA keys and go back configure and I am off to the races?

Mark
Old 05-01-2009
Telstar 28

FawcettM—

If you configure the NS2 properly, you can have it automatically pick up open networks. However, if the networks are secured, you'll have to log into NS2 and configure it to match their security setup.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 05-01-2009

WiFi Bridge

Thanks this has been very helpful, now to go and buy one......have to see if they sell them in and around the Toronto area.
Old 05-01-2009

bhcva is on a distinguished road
Dog...I've come a long way in my understanding of the NS2/IP address operation thanks mostly to you and I may be wrong here, but in my limited experience, if you move away from the previous access point, the NS2 will not automatically pick a new access point and will revert to it's native 198.168.1.2 (IIRC) ip setting and, if that address is on a separate sub-net from your ethernet adapter, you will have to manually set your ethernet adapter to match the subnet in order to communicate with the NS2 screens. Then you can pick a new access point and go back to automatic re the ip addresses.

Have I passed the course yet ?

Bruce
Old 05-01-2009
Telstar 28

Not quite.

It depends on how you have the NS2 configured. If you're using it with the SSID ANY and no security, it will attempt to associate itself with any available, open access point. If it manages to connect to the access point, it will attempt to get an IP address dynamically, and then use it. If it fails to get an IP address, it will probably go and self-assign an IP address. If you're going from harbor to harbor and using only open, unsecured access points, then it will not need to be reconfigured when you change harbors.

If you're using secured WiFi networks, and they're different, then you'll need to reconfigure the NS2 when you change locations.

BTW, be aware that regardless of whether you're on a secured WiFi network or not, you will probably want to use secure protocols for e-mail, web browsing, etc, as anyone on the WiFi network will be able to run a packet sniffer and grab your traffic pretty easily. E-mail, by default, generally sends the user name, password and mail contents in CLEARTEXT. That means anyone with a packet sniffer can find out your e-mail username, server, and password without much trouble. Most modern e-mail servers have some sort of encryption as an option, and I highly recommend it be used. Whether it is SSL-based encryption or TLS-based encryption or using an SSH tunnel... using encrypted tunnels for your e-mail is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcva View Post
Dog...I've come a long way in my understanding of the NS2/IP address operation thanks mostly to you and I may be wrong here, but in my limited experience, if you move away from the previous access point, the NS2 will not automatically pick a new access point and will revert to it's native 198.168.1.2 (IIRC) ip setting and, if that address is on a separate sub-net from your ethernet adapter, you will have to manually set your ethernet adapter to match the subnet in order to communicate with the NS2 screens. Then you can pick a new access point and go back to automatic re the ip addresses.

Have I passed the course yet ?

Bruce

Telstar 28
New England

Last edited by sailingdog; 05-01-2009 at 04:01 PM.