Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-09-2009
son of a son of a sailor

PrinceBuster is on a distinguished road
"Marine" stereo needed?

I'm going to be adding a stereo to my '95 Catalina 320. (it's never had one--don't know how the previous owner went without!)

As it will be mounted inside the cabin, the experienced marine engineer that I'm working with on some other electrical issues told me that I don't need to get a "marine" stereo. I know it won't be directly exposed to the elements, but it seems that it's still a much more humid environment than the typical car faces.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Kevin
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2009
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Kevin,

IMHO: Listen to your engineer -- a regular car stereo will do fine inside the cabin (unless it's mounted directly below the companionway, that is.) Plenty to choose from, with all the bells and whistles.

That said, you should be a little more diligent when you actually wire it up. Use adhesive-lined heat-shrink butt connectors, and quality cables.
Old 02-09-2009

windward54 is on a distinguished road
It is true you can get away with a car stereo. They are about half the price. However, I can't seem to get more then a few years out of a CD player; they just seem to die out on me. The current cd player has given out again (radio portion works fine) so I am switching to a Fusion Ipod docking station instead. No moving parts and I use the Ipod more these days anyway. Only problem is the sole vendor for the Fusion is West Marine.
Old 02-09-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by windward54 View Post
It is true you can get away with a car stereo. They are about half the price. However, I can't seem to get more then a few years out of a CD player; they just seem to die out on me. The current cd player has given out again (radio portion works fine) so I am switching to a Fusion Ipod docking station instead. No moving parts and I use the Ipod more these days anyway. Only problem is the sole vendor for the Fusion is West Marine.
CD's are soooo 1989. Get an iPod. You can have your entire music collection onboard and never have to mess with jewel cases or loading CD's. I intially longed for a unit with an iPod dock, but after using my FM modulator I've found that it works fine and I can plug it into the 12v jack in the cockpit which allows me to change tunes or pause the music from the helm which is great.

I liked it so much I got over enthusiastic and blew one of my cockpit speakers, so I'll be replacing those before we splash again. For that you do need the marine version.
Old 02-09-2009

scottbr is on a distinguished road
Regular car stereo works just fine inside the cabin. "Marine" grade is only required if it will be exposed to water or weather i.e. an open cockpit. Definitely look into pod compatible. we plug in the iPod to the front of the stereo and have lots of music without the bulk of Cd's.
Old 02-09-2009

capttb is on a distinguished road
Both car and marine units seem to last about the same, I have a marine unit in because I wanted a remote at the helm & I discovered that sometimes you can get a marine stereo pretty cheap. I've attached a website that has a Pyle with 4 speakers on sale for $100. Check Amazon also, that's where I got one cheap.
Overton's - Pyle Hydra Series Marine CD Receiver Package - Marine Stereos > Marine Stereo Packages : Marine Stereos, Boat Stereo Speakers, Packages, Accessories, Antennas
Old 02-09-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
I installed a IPod Compatible Sony CD/Radio with a remote from the WalMart for about $200. Works fine and I can use the remote to control the radio & ipod from the cockpit, I just have to have the line of sight with the remote.
Old 02-09-2009

Pub911 is on a distinguished road
I've got a 10 year-old Alpine mounted inside the cabin that's just starting to exhibit issues. The volume knob skips around a bit, goes up when you turn it down, etc. but other than that, NO ISSUES.
Old 02-09-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Prince...I have VERY professional experience in car stereos. You will be fine with a standard stereo. Suggest you get one that is IPOD compatible (if you have an Ipod) or has a USB or Aux input jack so you can bring all your tunes with you.
Further suggest that you get a model with remote control so you can change stations and/volume from the cockpit.
That's the STEREO...what about speakers...will they be downstairs too or up in the cockpit? Car speakers can be used "upstairs" as well for beter sound and value BUT they must have plastic grills, rubber surrounds on the speaker cones and plastic speaker cones. They should always be ROUND and not oval. Spend at least as much on your speakers as your radio for the best sound.
Old 02-09-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Prince...I have VERY professional experience in car stereos. You will be fine with a standard stereo. Suggest you get one that is IPOD compatible (if you have an Ipod) or has a USB or Aux input jack so you can bring all your tunes with you.
Further suggest that you get a model with remote control so you can change stations and/volume from the cockpit.
That's the STEREO...what about speakers...will they be downstairs too or up in the cockpit? Car speakers can be used "upstairs" as well for beter sound and value BUT they must have plastic grills, rubber surrounds on the speaker cones and plastic speaker cones. They should always be ROUND and not oval. Spend at least as much on your speakers as your radio for the best sound.
LOL...I asked the same questions as the OP question a long while ago and Camaraderie gave very similar advice then, see my post above Thanks again Cam!