SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Gybe-EZE (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/51370-gybe-eze.html)

Mc51 02-10-2009 08:23 PM

Gybe-EZE

Can someone tell me what a Gybe-EZE is? I was reading a blog on Sailblogs and a guy said that after ten years he finally installed a Gybe-EZE.

Mc

Bilgewater 02-10-2009 08:46 PM

It's Gybe'easy and it's a boom brake with no moving parts.
Wichard - Boom Brake- Gybe Easy: Mauri Pro Sailing=

sailortjk1 02-10-2009 09:17 PM

I have been interested in those for some time, but according to the provided link, the Mauri price is $223. That sounds awful high for what your getting.

bubb2 02-10-2009 09:25 PM

If you have lifting tackle on the boat for a life sling, you have a boom brake.
Rig the tackle to the end of the boom and the other block to the toe rail equal with the shrouds. The bitter end is brought back to a stern cleat.

And if the tackle is needed to lift a person out of the water it is already pre rigged.

Mc51 02-10-2009 09:35 PM

Okay, I think I've got it. I usually bring the main in kind of close hauled as I jibe with the main sheet so it won't have so far to swing as we gybe. I guess with the Gybe eze it would be a little easier. Do you have to move it to the other sid after you tack?

GaryHLucas 02-10-2009 09:50 PM

No, you don't have to move it, the line goes from toe rail to toe rail, and the device slides along it.

One of the problems with gybe control devices like this is that to be really effective you'd want the braking action to be control speed, not force. You'd like the device to have no effect if the boom is moving slowly, then apply force as it speeds up to keep it from going really fast. Tough to do that with just line friction. I think these devices require a fair amount of adjusting to wind speed to do a good job.

sailortjk1 02-10-2009 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubb2 (Post 446310)
If you have lifting tackle on the boat for a life sling, you have a boom brake.
Rig the tackle to the end of the boom and the other block to the toe rail equal with the shrouds. The bitter end is brought back to a stern cleat.

And if the tackle is needed to lift a person out of the water it is already pre rigged.

Mike,
I do rig a preventer like you describe, but I thought these "brakes" provided a bit more versatility. I will simply continue to rig a preventer, but they have some downsides, like if you have to jibe in an emergency. As you know you have to release the preventer before you can flip her over, I think its a little less complicated with a brake.

Mc51 02-10-2009 10:18 PM

Much Thanks for the explanations. I think I'll stay old school and try to remember to duck at the right times. Actually I'm not that tall, I haven't been nailed by the boom on Warhorse yet, but the boom on our H16 has made a few dents though.

bubb2 02-10-2009 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailortjk1 (Post 446336)
Mike,
I do rig a preventer like you describe, but I thought these "brakes" provided a bit more versatility. I will simply continue to rig a preventer, but they have some downsides, like if you have to jibe in an emergency. As you know you have to release the preventer before you can flip her over, I think its a little less complicated with a brake.

Yes I do Tim, I know to ease it around the cleat may take more time in an emergency, how much time would it take you to rig the tackle in a emergency ( think dark and lumpy seas)? Every Man is his Captain, It is just the way I do it.

sailortjk1 02-10-2009 11:01 PM

I hear you my friend.