Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-11-2009

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
I'd be inclined to combine all the Trojan wet cells into the house bank and buy a 27 wetcell for starting, connected thru the Echocharger. Two reasons for this choice. If you use an AGM, as was stated before the optimum charging voltage is lower than that of thr Trojan wet cells, so the echocharger will possibly cook the start battery. The wet cell will give you the most bang for the buck, but have a shorter life expectancy than a properly charged AGM. Therefore you will not feel so bad about scrapping it at the time the trojans need replacement, and you want to go with all batteries of the same type and age. The major disadvantages to wet cells are: you can spill acid if the boat is knocked down, and you have to check regularly to see that there is water in all cells. Since you have this problem with the trojans anyway, why worry?

1980 Endeavour 37 sloop, currently in the Mississippi near St Louis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2009

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Optima brand spiral cell AGM's are able to handle the higher voltages typically associated with 'wet cell' batteries. I use nothing but them for both house and starter but if you are looking to mix that's a good choice if you are worried about over voltage on the starter. IIRC it can handle up to 14.8v without burnoff/damage. I charge at 14.3v and have had no problems at all in three years of use.
Old 02-22-2009
Barking Dog

KindOfBlue is on a distinguished road
I am in the middle of installing my echo-charger and starting battery and I have a couple of questions.

1) The alternator has a + that I will connect to the main switch and then to the house batteries, but it also (according to the wiring diagram) has some wires (labeled R & L) that connect into the Starter Switch and I think a Charging light. What do I do with these and are they of any concern?

2) The easiest conversion for me is to keep my two house banks and then add the starting battery. Can I connect the echo-charger house battery connection to the positives of each house bank. I like the two house bank setup because I can continue to use my link 2000 to monitor each bank and charge them independently with the battery charger, alternator and wind generator if necessary.

An additional change from my initial post is that I have decided to replace all 8 6v Trojan T-105s with 2 AGM Group 4D (1 per bank) and will be using a Group 24 AGM Starting Battery. I have a Yanmar 4JHE engine.
Old 02-22-2009
Bender of Nails

Deadeye is on a distinguished road
Since the thread's revived anyway...

Just curious here fellas, but why not keep the deep cycles split into two banks for redundancy and use a separate start battery without wiring it to the onboard charger at all ?
Either a two- or a three-channel isolator in the alternator's output will take care of separating the start and house batteries, and I would expect that motoring out of the marina will be more than enough to replenish the start battery. For the start battery to self-discharge would take quite a while.
It would be easy enough to wire a parallel relay between the house banks' battery switch and the starter just in case the start battery is flat (did I mention I like redundancy? ;^)
Old 02-22-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
KindOfBlue

You'd be much better off using all eight T105's for a house bank and setting up a small starting battery. Then connect all the charging sources to the big house bank and use an echo charger to charge the starting bank. The eight-bank house setup will actually give you more run time than it did when it was two four-battery house banks, since the Peukert factor goes down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook