Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-12-2009

rperret is on a distinguished road
Mack-Boring Diesel Seminar...

Anyone recently attend one of these one-day seminars (Larry Berlin is presenting)?

In looking at agenda - it sounds on the surface interesting - but currently I already do my own basic maintenance (oil and filter, impeller, winterize, and zinc). Does the seminar go into more detail? Or just designed for someone who's never done maintenance. I already own a service manual.

Thx.

Rick

The grocery stores the super mart, uh huh
Little girls still break their hearts, uh huh
And men still keep on marching off to war
Electrically they keep a baseball score

The beat goes on, the beat goes on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2009

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
I've attended Mack Boring's 3 day seminar in NJ a few years back..worth the price of admission..get to work on the engine of choice..basically simple mx and simple trouble shooting..also get to stock up at their parts counter without dealer intervention..:>

Regards,

Clay
Kimberton,Pa.
Old 02-12-2009

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
I attended one in Wilmington, NC. Larry does a great job and it was really nice to have working Yanmar engines on the floor to take apart and put back to gether. They had our specific engine, so we were able to really see everything up close.

I'm still no diesel mechanic, but it was well worth the time and expense.
Old 02-12-2009

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Get into diesels. You will get to like them. Treat them well and they will run and run. They really need very little maintainence. The odd oil change for sump and gearbox, the occasional fuel filter change, and keep that fuel clean. A fuel tank inspection hatch does wonders for that.
Old 02-12-2009

kdg_dean_austin is on a distinguished road
Shortly after we bought our boat two years ago, I took that class - absolutely worth it for me! I frequently refer to the class materials each Spring and Fall when working on the engine. That said, if you are already somewhat comfortable around diesel engines, the class may be too basic for you. I think the one-day class is mainly targeted at the total newbies like me. The three-day class, however, is hands on and gets into much more detail. For your experience level, that class might make more sense.
RIMS, Allen Harbor, RI
Old 02-12-2009

HerbDB is on a distinguished road
I took both the one day seminar and the three day shop course a few years ago. The one day is excellent for the new boat owner who wants to understand how the engine works and to be able to diagnose simple problems. Good info on the care and feeding of a diesel engine. If you are new to boating it is really great. For a long time boat owner, not so much.

The three day shop course is excellent for anyone interested in working on their own engine. After attending the course, I felt that I could accomplish any normal repair using the manual as a cookbook. There is nothing like working on your engine model on a test stand in a shop with an instructor to give you confidence.

You change all fluids, belts, filters, dismantle and reassemble pumps, remove and replace injectors, adjust valves, torque the head and dismantle and reassemble the heat exchanger.

I enjoyed it and learned a lot.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.