SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   PVC pipes on shrouds? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/51486-pvc-pipes-shrouds.html)

Petar 02-13-2009 11:16 PM

PVC pipes on shrouds?

Hi

I've seen some boats fitted with about 3-4 ft long approximately 1-1.5 inch PVC pipes around shrouds and i guess for ease of jib/genoa sheets sliding across them.

i was planning on fitting same on my boat but am unsure whether to cut the pipes along the length of pipe and slide them on or remove the shroud from the deck shroud fitting and insert the shroud into the pipe. I am somewhat reluctant loosening the rigging? would this affect the mast integrity? i will of course fit the top cap on the pipe to center the shroud wire inside the pipe and keep the bottom open to allow draining and prevent the dirt from accumulating.

Any suggestions are welcome and any other alternatives to improve tacking / jibing to prevent sheets from getting stuck.

petar

knothead 02-13-2009 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petar (Post 447983)
I am somewhat reluctant loosening the rigging? would this affect the mast integrity?

Petar, yes, loosening the rigging will definitely affect the mast integrity. Assuming that integrity means keeping it upright. :D;)

It actually is a good idea to exercise, clean and lubricate the turnbuckle threads once in a while. So it would be a good thing to get used to it.

With most rigs, you can remove a single shroud at a time without too much problem. Use halyards to temporarily replace the shrouds you remove.

Tape or mark the threads where they abut the turnbuckle body and you should have no problem returning the mast to the same position it's in now.

scottyt 02-13-2009 11:49 PM

they are not really pvc they are specific covers west marine sells em link below

West Marine: Turnbuckle Boots Product Display

jimq26 02-13-2009 11:52 PM

You can also buy them on this site.

[quote=scottyt;447988]they are not really pvc they are specific covers west marine sells em link below

http://shop.sailnet.com/advanced_sea...&forumchoice=0

Faster 02-14-2009 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyt (Post 447988)
they are not really pvc they are specific covers west marine sells em link below

The OP was referring to "covers" 3-4 feet long - I think they probably were PVC or ABS pipe as the turnbuckle covers don't come that long. The larger diameter pipe sections do a better job of avoiding hangups on shrouds and especially babystays and also the sheets generally contact these areas above the height of the normal turnbuckle covers mentioned above during tacks.

I'd leave the pipe sections in one piece, and as KH suggests, exercise your turnbuckles while you're at it. You'll have to decide whether you'd prefer white or black plastic pipe... sometimes black is a bit less obviously visible. For a cleaner look you can use solvent to remove the markings usually printed on these types of pipes. Another (lighter but less strong) option might be the pipe sections used in central vacuum systems for homes.

Petar 02-14-2009 12:12 AM

Faster and Knothead

Thank you both for above advice. Doing one by one with keeping the mast upright with halyards should do he trick. I am looking into 3-4 ft length so WM turnbuckle boots might not be the best choice.

regds/petar

paulk 02-14-2009 01:09 AM

I think you will find that PVC pipe - usually buried or inside a house- may tend to get brittle when subjected to UV rays from the sun. A couple of slaps from the genoa sheets, and brittle PVC may crack and/or shatter. I think the plastic shroud/turnbuckle covers sold by marine stores are made of something else - like vinyl- for this reason.

scottyt 02-14-2009 01:20 AM

i did look on sailnet but did not find them, sorry, and i prefer defender over west marine. i have them on my boat but its not for chafe reasons its for foot reasons... my stays are attached to the toe rail so if not careful i could catch a toe. although i think they do help with the jib sheets

Faster 02-14-2009 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulk (Post 448006)
I think you will find that PVC pipe - usually buried or inside a house- may tend to get brittle when subjected to UV rays from the sun. A couple of slaps from the genoa sheets, and brittle PVC may crack and/or shatter. I think the plastic shroud/turnbuckle covers sold by marine stores are made of something else - like vinyl- for this reason.

That's probably true, Paul, they likely are vinyl - but we've used standard black (ABSor PVC - can never remember which is which) plastic plumbing pipe on a babystay - and after nearly 20 years it's still doing the trick.. very thick walled.

timebandit 02-14-2009 12:11 PM

Wood is good and can be made any length and no need to remove the shrouds.

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/o...t/IMG_0539.jpg