Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-14-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Any thoughts on this new battery?

Any thoughts on this new battery from Odyssey? It's an AGM using pure lead... I don't know if it's one of the new "thin plate" technology batteries, but they do mention having thinner plates in the specs. The people at the Miami Boat Show said that they will take a massive charge and you can deep discharge them, so they sound like thin plate tech. Two of these batteries are exactly the size of an 8D, but have 418AH of capacity! They are around $600-$650 each, so not cheap at all, but I could double my house bank capacity in the space I have now without having to take up other storage areas (which is VERY important to me).

PC1800 Odyssey Battery - Odyssey Drycell Batteries
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2009

Rockter will become famous soon enough
That's a cranking battery. Is that what you really want?

Deep discharge is not normally a strength of a cranking battery.
Old 02-14-2009
I'd rather be sailing

That's the interesting thing about the battery - it has both cranking power and deep discharge. The new Thin Plate Pure Lead technology is supposed to support deep discharge (90%) without damage, rapid recharging (if you can dump 200amps into it, it will take all of it with a much more rapid time to full charge than a standard AGM or lead acid) and they have high cranking amps.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-14-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
sounds great!
Let us know how it goes being the product tester!

I'll wait for some real world field testing to get the bugs out.
Old 02-14-2009
I'd rather be sailing

Nigel Calder just filled his boat with TPPL technology and apparently loves it... I'll take that guy's recommendation anytime!
Old 02-14-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Labatt,

We had some extensive discussions about the Odyssey batteries, oh it must have been a year or two ago. There should be some good info in the archives. Camaraderie had a lot of good things to say about them, if I recall.

I plan to use one when I finally get around to installing a separate starting battery.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 02-14-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
Nigel Calder just filled his boat with TPPL technology and apparently loves it... I'll take that guy's recommendation anytime!
At his expense? Not accusing, just asking.

Maybe they've been out longer than I realize. the concept certainly is attractive but it's pretty new and untested it would seem
Old 02-14-2009
I'd rather be sailing

I should probably somewhat retract my previous statement. After some more research, I've found that he is very bullish on the technology and is currently running it through its paces on his boat to see if it withstands the rigors of cruising. The batteries were originally designed for use in tanks - they turn their engines off to minimize their heat signature and have to run on batteries for a long time. They then have to recharge them quickly. One of the biggest issues with them at the moment is the charge acceptance rate - they will take anything you throw at them, which could keep your alternator at 100% for a period of time, so that can cause undue wear and tear. On the other hand, you can recharge a 90% depleted 214AH battery in 25 minutes with the appropriate tech (which we won't have). I'd be recharging them using our generator powered Xantrex charger, so I need to talk to them to find out what strain, if any, would be placed on it.
Old 02-15-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I would be curious about how the "thin plates" cope with "the heavy seas". I'm not rejecting it, but after looking at a load of Lifetime and Northstar AGM options, a bunch of Trojan 8Ds is looking sensible just due to the availability, the ruggedness and the price (although when it comes to batteries, price isn't a huge issue: Reliability is. I only want to have one set over five years of cruising.)
Old 02-15-2009

jason3317 is on a distinguished road
At 132 lbs per battery for the PC1800...you better have some gorillas to help you get them on the boat.

For about the same price, you could have a bank of (4) 6V Lifeline AGM....600AH. 692 Mins reserve @25 amp vs 475 Mins for the Oddessy. I did the math in my head, but I'd say they are both similar in space requirements.

In terms of $/AH performance, the thin plate technology needs to come down a bit more before they really pique my interest.

Good luck, and make sure you let us know what you end up choosing.