Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-17-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
IIRC, the Trojan T125 has more capacity than the T105, and the T105s are rated at 225 amp-hours, so six of them would be 675 amp hours, not 375... and the T125s would be a bit more, probably 725 or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Am i missing something, 6 trojan 6v 125's is only 375 amp hours @12v

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Looks like I'll be going Mastervolt... they make slimline AGMs (not the new TPPL technology) that are 200AH each. I can fit 4 in our current box for a total of 800AH. I'll also be replacing our current Freedom 15 charger/inverter (75AH charger) with a Freedom 30 (up to 140AH charger) or a Freedom 25 (up to 130AH charger). I'll have to play with the charging amperage to make sure I don't overload anything, but I'll have a little more charge capacity, and the footprint is the exact same (although I'll be upgrading some of my battery cabling).
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 02-18-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just curious, how much are the Mastervolt AGMs??

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-18-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Ridiculously expensive. It looks like I'll be able to get them for about $550 each, but I really want the extra amp hours and not have to expand our battery box. It's that important.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 02-18-2009

Paul_L is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
Looks like I'll be going Mastervolt... they make slimline AGMs (not the new TPPL technology) that are 200AH each. I can fit 4 in our current box for a total of 800AH. I'll also be replacing our current Freedom 15 charger/inverter (75AH charger) with a Freedom 30 (up to 140AH charger) or a Freedom 25 (up to 130AH charger). I'll have to play with the charging amperage to make sure I don't overload anything, but I'll have a little more charge capacity, and the footprint is the exact same (although I'll be upgrading some of my battery cabling).
Check these batteries also, you should be able to fit in 3 or 4 of the 210's.
Meridian AGM

Paul L
Old 02-18-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Not what you originally posted, but what about putting another battery somewhere else and connecting it in.

Trying to think outside the (battery) box.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss buckets. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 02-19-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Valiente-
Using individual 2v cells and bolting them up is in fact the worldwide standard for the batteries used in electric fork lifts and other industrial applications. It is the only way to assemble a huge battery and still have a way for one or two men to lift the pieces by hand, and it is a proven economy since individual cells can be (and are) replaced if one cell fails.
When you think about it, it has the same number of failure points as any 12v battery which has been assembled--and then sealed out of reach in a case. But, with individual cells you can at least access the connections.

Of course, you can't ust hop down to the local chandlery to buy the cells, or get warranty service on them. But there's a fork lift battery supplier in just about every commercial port in the world.
Old 02-19-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Am i missing something, 6 trojan 6v 125's is only 375 amp hours @12v
Two T-125''s wired in series for 12V will supply 240amp hours @ the 20 hour rate. Six of these wired in series/parallel gives you 720 amp hours..

In series = Double voltage / amps stay the same

In parallel = Double amps / volts stay the same

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 02-19-2009
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
Ridiculously expensive. It looks like I'll be able to get them for about $550 each, but I really want the extra amp hours and not have to expand our battery box. It's that important.
Labatt,

I am looking at these batteries as well but they seem to be hard to find.

May I ask where (retailer) you are going to buy them?

MaineSail,

Should that be:

Wired in series = double voltage, half the amp?

Cheers
Old 02-19-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgenl View Post

MaineSail,

Should that be:

Wired in series = double voltage, half the amp?

Cheers
If we are talking about the face value ratings of just one battery no, if you are talking about two batteries yes.. I was referring to the face value ratings of one 6V battery.

When you wire two of them in series, and use the face value ratings of one six volt battery, the voltage goes from 6 to 12 but the amp hour rating stays the same.

If using two batteries for your basis the voltage doubles in series from 6 to 12 and the amp hours are cut in half..

Apples & oranges both are correct.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.