Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-15-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
How many amp hours can I fit?

Alright, as people have noticed, I'm focusing on batteries right now. The 490AH we have right now just isn't enough - 2 kids, 2 laptops, fridge, lots of other energy draining items, and we're not going to change our usage (much). We currently have a battery area that measures 24" x 21.5" x 11" (LxWxH). Any thoughts on the best battery configuration giving me the most amp hours? I just thought I'd post this brain teaser out there for people looking for a late night boat puzzle

Chris
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2009

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Chris, IIRC there are only 3 actual battery makers - all the various products out there are essentially just re branding operations.
at 24 x 21.5 x 11 you can stack 6 of the trojan 6v 125's, wiring them in pairs for 12v. Each is 10 3/8 x 7 1/8 x 10 11/16.
Trojan Battery Company
If my math hasn't failed me that's 750ah worth.

Wiring is going to be a bit of squeeze but should be doable.

They have a 145ah 6v, but it's too tall.
Old 02-15-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
There are several options available with Trojans.

I found some 12 V Trojans that will fit my tray, with a little mod. so take some time to look over all their different configs.
Old 02-15-2009

Whitebear is on a distinguished road
Hi

Consider Lithium Ion batteries. 2 x the charge for 1/2 the weight and size.
Old 02-15-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Labatt, have you thought of breaking up your battery banks a bit? Echo-charge a starter battery in the engine bay and echo-charge a windlass battery in the anchor locker. Would this affect your "amp count"?

Conversely, you could consider the 200 Ah AGM 8D that are only 5" wide (used in UPS batteries in phone exchanges and server farms). These could be lying on their sides under the floorboards in many boats.

BTW, I agree with your math. I have one kid and likely fewer calls on electricity than on your boat and I am planning for a four 8D or equivalent house bank of circa 840 Ah. My goal is longevity: I want to run the boat on the hook for a week or on passage even if the wind is light or the skies are cloudy. I only want alternator amps as a byproduct of actual motoring, which we would likely do to pump the holding tank once a week out beyond the reef, so to speak.
Old 02-17-2009

chuck711 is on a distinguished road
Fitting 5 batteries into a space for 2

I cruised on my 1988 Cal 33 down the Island chain for a couple of years and anchored out everynight. In order to increase my Amp hours I had 1 Large
battery box built from Polyproplene ( welded) to fit my battery area. I found I could fit 5 batteries into the box. They all used the same Battery Box.
Any Plastic Fabricator can do the welding. For the mat'l and welding about $100. It worked Great! Seperate Battery Boxes take up a lot of room.

clcjr54@hotmail.com
Old 02-17-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Bad idea... not ready for prime time as the charging system LiIon batteries require are considerably more sophisticated than what's currently available. Also, the batteries are very, very expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebear View Post
Hi

Consider Lithium Ion batteries. 2 x the charge for 1/2 the weight and size.
As for using one large battery box, the major concern with doing that is holding down all the batteries properly. With individual boxes, it is relatively easy to do. With a single large box, it is much more difficult.

As for Labatt's original question, I'd go with the Trojans suggested, unless you've got cash to spare, since you could probably get a modular Surrette-Rolls setup with the individual 2 VDC cells that would provide more power in the same space.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-17-2009
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
at 24 x 21.5 x 11 you can stack 6 of the trojan 6v 125's, wiring them in pairs for 12v. Each is 10 3/8 x 7 1/8 x 10 11/16.
Trojan Battery Company
If my math hasn't failed me that's 750ah worth.
Am i missing something, 6 trojan 6v 125's is only 375 amp hours @12v

Old 02-17-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
No, that sounds right. The 6v to 12v calculation strikes again.

Anyone else using the Surrette "modular" system? It has some upsides in terms of not killing yourself getting the batteries out, but it creates more failure points, I think.
Old 02-17-2009

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
svsirius is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post

Anyone else using the Surrette "modular" system? It has some upsides in terms of not killing yourself getting the batteries out, but it creates more failure points, I think.

Yes using the Surrette/Rolls 2v cells. System works as advertised.

It does not have additional failure points as every battery has those same connections but internal to the case instead of external.

The only downside to this system is you pay a premium for the batteries but they do offer extended life when compared to most. Also make sure you get the 'hydrocaps' they really reduce water consumption.

You can also get them without the outer case which frees up room for more cells if that buiys you anything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.