Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-15-2009
SoME Sailor

rjg23 is on a distinguished road
Spinnaker rigging

Looking for advice on rigging for external spinnaker halyard. Should I install cheek blocks on the mast to direct the halyard to the designated block at mast base or just let fly freely?

Thanks

"If you are lucky to live by the sea, you are lucky enough"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjg23 View Post
Looking for advice on rigging for external spinnaker halyard. Should I install cheek blocks on the mast to direct the halyard to the designated block at mast base or just let fly freely?

Thanks

I'm not really sure why you would need to install cheek blocks to direct the halyard.
What's your reasoning?
Old 02-15-2009

Gary M is on a distinguished road
Generaly you have a cheek block attached to the plate your mast sits on, that is all you need to turn the halyard horizontal and over to the deck organizer.

If you have two jib halyards consider using one of them for the pole topping lift instaerd of a dedicated topping lift. Less weight and expense and you do not need two jib halyards going down wind.

Gary
Old 02-15-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary M View Post
Generaly you have a cheek block attached to the plate your mast sits on, that is all you need to turn the halyard horizontal and over to the deck organizer.

If you have two jib halyards consider using one of them for the pole topping lift instaerd of a dedicated topping lift. Less weight and expense and you do not need two jib halyards going down wind.

Gary
That wouldn't be a cheek block. But you're right is so far as the halyard usually comes to a turning block at the mast base and then to the organizer.
Old 02-16-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:

Gary
I wouldn't think it a good idea to use a jib halyard as a topping lift...when the pole is trimmed back to the shrouds, you are likely to start chafing the halyard, especially if you are trimming the lift under a full loading.
Old 02-17-2009

Gary M is on a distinguished road
Knothead you are correct that would not be a cheek block. Maybe I am the knothead

Sailingfool you are also correct you might get a little chafe on the halyard but I have had mine set up like this for two seasons and have not seen any. This is a very common set up for racers, reduces windage and weight aloft and costs less to install initialy.

Gary
Old 02-17-2009

Quote:
Knothead you are correct that would not be a cheek block. Maybe I am the knothead
Hey, is you disparagin my screen name?
Old 02-17-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
...is is a very common set up for racers, reduces windage and weight aloft and costs less to install initialy.

ary
All the racers I know are more concerned about equipment working correctly and would never use such a compromised setup just to save a little money. Racing is so fundamentally expensive, it would be pennywise-pound-foolish to use a jib halyard as a topping lift. If it works for you, great...but if someone feels they can't afford a working topping lift, you darn well bet they can't afford a spinnaker and the other assorted gear.
Old 02-18-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
You won't want to use a jib halyard if it is internal to the mast. That sheave is designed to put the halyard at an angle for the jib or genoa only. If it has to come to far downwards, it'll chafe on the lower lip of the exit plate. Then you have no spinnaker topping lift AND no jib halyard. This is the arrangement on my masthead. The thin line is a messenger line for the winter. The other halyard had yet to be removed for storage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie