Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-17-2009

1970Columbia34 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via MSN to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via Yahoo to 1970Columbia34
Right now our current set up has i guess what you guys are calling 2 house banks with 1 battery each is that correct. since we have a selector switch that has "1" , "2", or "both". but don't I want to keep that setup so we have a reserve battery incase 1 dies, current batteris are dual cycle batteries, and new last year. Want to add a starting battery, can anyone help with some type of wiring diagram? Thanks.

Scott
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2009

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
Having two house banks is out of date. You are better off tying all house batteries together and always pulling from both. That way you don't pull either battery down as far which is better for them over the long term.

Many people using the following system these days...
Your house batteries should just have a single On / Off battery disconnect switch. Use your 1 / 2 / Both / Off switch for your engine start system. Normally you would always use your starting battery (perhaps called 1). Switching the engine switch to 2 would allow you to start from the house bank if you had to.
Old 02-17-2009

1970Columbia34 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via MSN to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via Yahoo to 1970Columbia34
Ok so I should tie my 2 dual cycle batterys together to make battery bank 1 "house" use the postion 2 on the switch for that starting battery, then once started just switch back to the house bank to run the gps, radio electronics etc? or while motoring do i just run on the starting battery? now how do I wire the alternator to charge the new house batteries and the starter battery with the echo charger?
Old 02-17-2009

You have tons of options but this is a good one. You need two battery switches. Switch A) The house bank is attached to a simple on / off switch for all house service. Switch B) This is a 1 / 2 / both / off switch. It sends power to the starter. It can do this from either the starting battery "1" normally, or the house bank "2" if something goes wrong with the starting battery.

Yes, use an EchoCharger for the starting battery.
Old 02-18-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Actually, you don't need two switches. You can either use a Blue Sea Dual Circuit Plus battery switch, which is a single-throw double pole switch with the ability to combine in an emergency and will connect the house bank to the DC panel and the starting bank to the engine... or you can use a normal 1/2/both switch and consider the starting battery an "emergency" or "reserve" battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInMD View Post
You have tons of options but this is a good one. You need two battery switches. Switch A) The house bank is attached to a simple on / off switch for all house service. Switch B) This is a 1 / 2 / both / off switch. It sends power to the starter. It can do this from either the starting battery "1" normally, or the house bank "2" if something goes wrong with the starting battery.

Yes, use an EchoCharger for the starting battery.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-18-2009

rocinante33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Actually, you don't need two switches. You can either use a Blue Sea Dual Circuit Plus battery switch, which is a single-throw double pole switch with the ability to combine in an emergency and will connect the house bank to the DC panel and the starting bank to the engine... or you can use a normal 1/2/both switch and consider the starting battery an "emergency" or "reserve" battery.
OK, this is just the switch I've been looking at. But what does the dual circuit plus do that the standard 1/2/both switch doesn't do? It seems more limited to me because it only can switch to 1/combine. What if bank 1 is completely dead? There is no option for "2" and you wouldn't want to combine a good bank with a dead bank. Am I missing some feature that makes that switch better? The 1/2/both switch is also made by Blue Seas. I also plan to add an Echo Charger.
Channel Islands, California
Old 02-18-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The Dual Circuit Plus keeps the starting and house sides isolated from each other unless in the combine position. This can help protect electronics from the surges and voltage drops associated with starting the engine as well as prevent them from shutting down due to the loss of power when starting the engine.

It also prevents the house loads from killing both banks, unless it is left in the combine position. It also reduces the chances of accidentally frying the alternator diodes by turning the switch through the off position when switching banks—since it doesn't require switching banks.

The only time you really need the combine feature is if the starting bank, which is small, is dead and you need to start the engine. The combine position allows you to do that. Usually, the house bank is large enough that the draw down on the bank for the short period it takes to start the engine isn't going to be all that significant.

The only time you would have a problem is if both banks were fairly depleted, and combining them wouldn't generally help you there anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocinante33 View Post
OK, this is just the switch I've been looking at. But what does the dual circuit plus do that the standard 1/2/both switch doesn't do? It seems more limited to me because it only can switch to 1/combine. What if bank 1 is completely dead? There is no option for "2" and you wouldn't want to combine a good bank with a dead bank. Am I missing some feature that makes that switch better? The 1/2/both switch is also made by Blue Seas. I also plan to add an Echo Charger.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-18-2009

The Dual Circuit Plus is a good option. As I said above there are many ways to do this. Since you already have a 1/2/both/off switch you would save a little money just adding the on off switch, but only about $25.
Old 02-24-2009
Barking Dog

KindOfBlue is on a distinguished road
wiring diagram.

This is what i am thinking of setting up. I believe that I can start on either house (1) or starting (2) and if I start with the starting battery, I can switch back to the house without affecting anything.

Old 02-24-2009
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Lots of options

Just to put in my two amps worth (2 cents worth).

I have two large house batteries that are really four six volt golf cart batteries wired together as 12 volt batteries and a separate starting battery. I use a battery combiner for the house batteries during charging and an echo charger for the starting battery.

To get at the juice I use two 1/2/both switches. One switch for the house power to select from the two house battery banks and one switch for starting power. The both position on the house batteries switch is also wired to the 2 position on the starting switch so I have three options for starting the engine; 1. the starting battery by itself; 2. Both of the house batteries or; 3. All of the batteries.

I've been running this setup for six years and haven't had to use anything but the starting battery for starting the engine but then it's a habit of mine to always switch off the starting battery as soon as I shut down the engine.

Good luck!

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?