SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

how long bottom paint lasts

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  MtHopeBay 
#1 ·
without going to too much detail, I'm looking at a boat that was coated with Ultima SR ablative a few seasons back. It's been professionally cleaned in the interim and has performed well right through the past racing season. How long can a quality bottom paint be expected to be effective in Pacific NW coastal waters?

I'm being cheap. If I spend all my money on the boat, then I'll have nothing left for major maintenance this year but the opportunity knocks now.

#3 ·
c'mon, really. I guess bottom paint isn't as sexy as LED lamps and batteries but is important.

I've searched Google and these forums and don't find the answer to my question. I'm impressed with the tests that "Good Old Boat" has done and published but they only go to 2 years (so far).

#4 ·
I can usually get 2 yrs with Interlux's micron doing 2 coats with 3 on the leading edges. Another boat near me like Petit's Trinadad. Did not like the Vivad, only lasted on yr, and had some hard growth on it. For him anyway, it did not do at expected. This is in Edmonds.

A lot depends upon where you are! how warm the water gets etc. Southern Hood Canal the water is warmer than elsewhere in the puget sound region.

Most that I know pull a min of once a yr, to 2 yrs. a few go 3 yrs and into 4 around here.

Marty

#5 ·
Well, to be completely cynical about it, if you are exhausting your wallet so far as to not be able to pay for bottom paint, you have bigger problems.
As you might expect, there is no real answer to your question regarding longevity as it depends, as others have said, on temperature, salinity, and most importantly, how often you use the boat (ablative wears off) and where you go with it. If you want a generality, 1 to 5 years is possible.

#6 ·
It's OK. I should probably spend my money on a new roof but the old one will make it a couple more years. I'll have to save up to haul and paint next year. New suit of sails the year after. New roof after that. It sucks being poor but I'm going to sail.

Thanks for your input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.