Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-17-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Helm seats: Looking for advice

Browsing through the Fishermen's Supply catalogue (I like to work out my forearms in the winter), I can't help but notice the extreme range of prices on helm seats.

Bear with me: I need one for the pilothouse, not because I've gone over to the Dark Side...sorry...trawler side.

Anyway, these things seem to go from something appropriate to a space ship at over three grand to something that looks like a chair from a bowling alley or a trade school classroom for sixty bucks.

What I need is something compact with a low back that can slide forward on its mount to get closer to the wheel, and that can adjust up and down, and maybe has a footrest. I am a foot taller than my wife, and my kid won't likely be five feet tall when he starts his "tricks" at the wheel. So I need something that moves. Beyond that, it can be pretty basic as it won't be in the weather except for sideways sunshine and the usual humidity.

Any suggestions? Should I just buy an old barbershop chair and start sawing at it?
Old 02-17-2009

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
Val,

on the weekend I just purchased a "flipup" seat as per the attached.

Springfield Marine Company - Manufacturer of Quality Boat Seats and Accessories

I'm also installing it in the pilothouse & I liked the idea of being able to flip the seat up and lean on it when I'm standing up. Also it attaches to a base that slides forward and back about 18-24 inches, so there's plenty of scope for moving it around.

One concern I had was sliding too much around in the seat when we are closehauled at a 10-15 degree angle. Therefore I was looking for a seat with padded sides that could hold you in place. This one seems to fit the bill.

I've gone for a fixed height, however they do sell a pedestal that can be adjusted up and down 20".

I'm installing this weekend and testing it out the following weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ilenart

Last edited by Ilenart; 02-17-2009 at 07:12 AM. Reason: cant spel
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
val
are you mounting on a tall pedistal? Lots of leverage there.
My old power boat had a 30" pedistal and it creaked like crazy.

I'm in a similar spot, the helm seat is too far from the wheel for comfortable operation long term. Haven't decided what to do either
Old 02-17-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Getting lazy in your dotage I see...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-17-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
Hey Val. Probably the best seat at the best price is a Todd. They have different bases, pedestals, sliders, foot rests and a whole slew of actual seat designs. I think the Stidd seats are WAY!! to expensive. Same with the Pompanette seats. The Garelick and Attwood seats feel cheap.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 02-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilenart View Post
I'm installing this weekend and testing it out the following weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ilenart
Thanks, Ilenart. I'll look forward to your "field notes".

I have been puzzling on this for some time, actually. I thought at one point a sort of padded swing seat belayed by shock cord and hanging from track on the pilothouse roof would work (and could be stowed easily). I like the idea of simply leaning back while standing, which would be the choice for short hauls, but to actually sit while motoring through a congested area in the rain with checks of the AIS and the radar is the sort of thing I would want a seat for.

Not to mention that the pilothouse is cozy for socializing, and a helm seat is close to the requisite flat surfaces.
Old 02-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Getting lazy in your dotage I see...
I haven't even gone yet, and if the truth be told, the helm was built for someone 5' 9" or something. I have to duck a bit to look forward, but my easily stowed wife could use another eight inches of height. The second "sailing" helm on deck is standing only, with no plans to make a seat, but it has clear views all around by contrast. So I need to sit lower than I stand, and my wife needs to sit higher than she stands.

First shot shows the standing room:

This one shows how open the aft deck is...even a kid can steer!

Old 02-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickrea View Post
Hey Val. Probably the best seat at the best price is a Todd. They have different bases, pedestals, sliders, foot rests and a whole slew of actual seat designs. I think the Stidd seats are WAY!! to expensive. Same with the Pompanette seats. The Garelick and Attwood seats feel cheap.
Thanks...I'll check out Todd. I'll probably end up with a basic seat attached to a deluxe pedestal!
Old 02-17-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Ahh... that makes sense... and easier on your back than hunching the whole time.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-02-2009

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
Field Test of a Springfield "Flipup"

Val, as requested details of how it went.

Installation was fairly simple. Had to drill slightly offcentre by 2-3 inches due to an obstruction below deck, however this is not noticable when you are using. Was a bit concerned with corrosion between the aluminum base and the stainless steel bolts so I used some yellow muck called Duralac. Apparently it does the trick, however it leaves a nice yellow smear around the fittings.

Went on a three day trip down south this long weekend. Seat worked very well both in sitting and leaning against. On the way down it was 36 degrees C (just under 100 F I think) so it got a bit hot and sticky against the vinyl. They do sell a blue cloth (polyester) version for a few $ more, however the white vinyl suited the existing decor in my pilothouse.

On the trip home we had a 20-30 kt tailwind with the boat rolling 15-20 degrees. Had no problems helming whilst sitting down and the sides held you in comfortably. When I needed a better view standing and leaning with the seat flipped up also felt solid and comfortable.

The view was also pretty good whilst sitting. Was able to spot some lobster pots when sitting. Can also view the electronic charts on the laptop from sitting down, however for detailed work your still need to stand.

The admiral also gave the seat the stamp of approval.

One mod I'll probably look at is installing a foot rest. To get the required height I had to use a 24" pedestal so your legs are hanging. One leg can sit on a bunk, however the other leg is left hanging and a small footrest would be more comfortable.

Also note that even though the seat can be adjusted fore and aft we did not adjust it over the three days.

Attached is a couple of photos. The cheeky grin is my six year old son.

One other mod I'll also have to do is a new drink holder. The existing one is now to far away and I spilt my drink when I was lazy and could'nt be bothered standing.

All up would recommend.

Ilenart