Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-17-2009

Danjcon is on a distinguished road
Thinking of repowering - any recommendations?

I am considering getting a new engine, does anyone have a recommendation for a vendor around the Annapolis/Baltimore area? I am interested in either a Yanmar or Beta Marine. Replacing a 35 year old Volvo MD6A with too many issues and ridiculous part prices.

Dan
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2009

AlanBrown is on a distinguished road
Part of the question you'll need to address is what motor will most easily fit into the space previously occupied by your old Volvo, align with your old motor mounts and prop shaft, be big enough for your power needs, etc. An expensive engine replacement can quickly become a VERY expensive engine replacement if you have to re-configure the engine compartment to fit the new engine.

I'm sure if you describe your boat and the model Volvo you want to replace, someone out there has probably lived through what you want to do and can give you some good advice.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Yanmar engines. They are very well made, found everywhere, and have a extensive service network. My 2GM is still going strong after 28 years and 1 re-build.
Old 02-19-2009

r.furborough is on a distinguished road
As I recall most Volvo-Penta engines of this era were on 18" mounting centers whereas most modern replacements are on 14.5" centers. So unless your preferred engine suppliers can supply modified engine mounts, then you will probably have to modify your engine bed/stringers to accept the new engine.

The MD6A was a 10HP@2400rpm engine, a replacement will probably more powerful and be a 3,600rpm engine. Also, expect to have to replace the transmission and your propeller.
Old 02-19-2009

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Yes, and be careful that the prop does not turn the other way, too.

The Beta Marine is a good motor, Kubota-based, so the spare parts will not be that expensive as there will be plenty of them in fork lifts, cement mixers and so on, and those users will not be ripped off. It does turn the prop the other way too, so be careful, that will mean a new prop.
Old 02-19-2009

Danjcon is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the responses. I have a couple of questions.

When I compare the measurements of the old 10 hp MD6A mounts to a 13.5 hp Beta or a 14 hp Yanmar, I see a very small difference (1/4 inch to one inch or so). How close does it have to be for a true "drop in" as far as mounting goes. There are more significant differences with the distance to the coupler as far as I can tell. I can't go much bigger due to the tight engine compartment. (That's why I like the Beta - much more accessible).

Second, has anyone repowered using someone around Annapolis area? Any recommendations?

Third, what kind of work did you do for your repower yourself, and how much did you save as a result of that work?

Thanks in advance.

Dan
Old 02-20-2009

r.furborough is on a distinguished road
The difference you are looking at may or may not make a difference to an installation, you have to check the measurements on you boat. The top surface of the engine bed could be as narrow as 2"-3" or as wide as 5"-6" and as long as the anti-vibration mount can be fully supported by the bed you should be OK. Also, it is also possible to shim or space the mounts if they are bolted to the engine, a 1/2" difference only requires a 1/4" spacer either side of the engine, longer bolts may also be required.
Old 02-20-2009

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Oh, and the Beta exhaust is on the other side of the motor too. It revs a bit higher than the Volvo if I remember, so watch your final drive ratios. I think the Volvo final drive is 1.92 to 1.

I understood that Beta will sell you the engine legs so that it drops straight in there. That was a selling point for me, when the time comes to re-engine.