Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-20-2009

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
High Pressure V Floor Dinghy

I noticed that Archilles, Zodiac and Avon do not show this new type air floor on their websites yet the 2009 West Marine Catalog shows a High Pressure V floor. Any comments on this type of floor vs the flat high pressure floor? Not sure if this V floor has been around long enough to get a good handle on its performance. Anyone?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2009

Volkhard is on a distinguished road
I am not familiar with a V-floor high pressure floor dinghy, but it might be my ignorance. In my Dinghy the high pressure floor is an extra,separate part, like the usual 3 piece plywood floor (I had before and hated). Underneath the high pressure floor there is another inflatable piece that actually gives the hull the V-shape. All high pressure floor dinghies I have seen so far have been constructed this way. But again, there might be something new out there I am not aware off.

The construction method of this high pressure floor is using so called drop stitches between the 2 plys of fabric (top and bottom). These stitches are creating a very strong "spacer' between the layers and many of these drop stitches are applied all over. Because of these you can actually apply lots of pressure without creating a sausage. The distance between top and bottom layer stays constant, depending on the length of the applied drop stitches. While applying thousands of same length drop stitches seem to me pretty straight forward, creating a V-shaped part needs a whole different amount of sophistication. I think it might be possible, but I don't know whether it's done or even needed for a dinghy.

just my $0.02

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Florida Sailor

ODYSSEY
Island Packet 37 (hull53)
Old 02-20-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
I wonder if it's the same thing with different names?

seems the high pressure floors need the long air tube below to provide some support. That long tube also fills the V. Seems a flat floor without the long tube would be difficult to stand on.
Old 02-20-2009

Volkhard is on a distinguished road
I don't believe the tube is needed for support. If the bottom of the dinghy would be flat and the high-pressure floor would be applied it would be stable as well. But a v shape is preferable and therefore the actual bottom of the dinghy is tailored in a way that the inflated single tube underneath the floor (plywood or high-pressure) creates the v-shape.

Think of the high pressure floor as a extrem stable air mattress!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Florida Sailor

ODYSSEY
Island Packet 37 (hull53)
Old 02-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
I wonder if it's the same thing with different names?

No...check out Page 490 of the 2009 West Marine Catalog for a description. I did find a Zodiac in the Defender catalog with the same type floor. Still nothing from Avon or Archilles that I can find. Just wonder if they are behind the curve or just waiting to see how they hold up?
Old 02-20-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
OK, thanks for the correction.
Old 02-20-2009

I'm looking over the Defender website and noticed that there are several Zodiac models with this V floor listed with substantial discounts. One even with a 2007 model year so this design has been around awhile so there should be good feedback on its performance and how well it holds up.
Old 02-20-2009

FishFinder is on a distinguished road
Looking into this it does look like a different floor from the older high-pressure floors (what my dinghy has). I'd want to see this new floor in action, I don't buy that it will perform as well as an RIB ... my current HP floor I fill to a pretty high pressure with compressed CO2 but it still flexes too much to perform very well. Anyways, just from googling this:

High Pressure Inflatable V-Hull (HP-V) Inflatables:

Exclusive HP-V floor technology is the next evolution in floor construction for 2008, creating boats that perform more like a RIB, with one'piece (non-removable floor) configuration-the simplest high-pressure rollups ever developed. A further evolution of the HP Inflatable concept, HP-V floors dispense with sausage-shaped inflatable keels. Inflated to 11psi with two Halkey Roberts valves located in the bow, the V-shaped integral floor is rigid, with enough shock-absorbing flex for great performance and a smooth ride, just like the flat-floored HP inflatables above. Cargo is located further down than in a flat-floored boat, and the low center of gravity provides stability comparable to a RIB hull design.
Old 02-20-2009

Whampoa is on a distinguished road
I picked up one of the Walker Bay Odyssey 310AFH models last season. It has the high pressure v floor. The large tubes and the diamond textured floor make this a very nice dinghy to use. I have been pleased with the quality and performance of the inflatable.

I chose an 8HP Tohatsu 4 cycle for it. I carry the inflatable deflated and rolled up on the cabin top or foredeck and the outboard on the stern rail.

While it might be obvious, it is worth noting that the pressure is important if you are going to get the performance. The first few times I inflated the unit I used the pump supplied with the unit and while it did a reasonable job, lets say that the 11.3 PSI floor will make a man out of ya.

I have since picked up one of the high pressure pumps that allows you to set your desired pressure and then has an auto cutoff when you reach the preset pressure. You bring each section up part way before finishing of the full pressure in any chamber.

With the HP 12v pump, Inflation is effortless. I went for the hypalon constructed unit instead of the PVC.

I towed the inflatable quite a bit during our trip up the Chesapeake last year and it tows easily. I thought the HPV floor performed well in that regard.

Good luck with your purchase.

Regards, John

US East Coast
1962 40' Auxiliary Cutter
S.S. Crocker - Design # 330

Last edited by Whampoa; 02-20-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-21-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
John,

I also bought the Walker Bay Odedessey with the same results. Coupled with a Bravo HP Air Pump the added pressure in the floor makes a huge difference in its ride. I highly recommend this dihngy which we bouyght from Defender. It comes with us attached to a garhauer davit system my wife and I installed on the hottest day of the summer last year. We bought a Thatsu 4 hp with an optional external tank.

We used our tender more in two months last year thabn we ever had the previous one we had maily due to the ease of letting in down off the davits and taking off in a 5 minute period,

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner