Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-20-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
lexan thickness

I found a supplier that has smoked lexan 3/16" thick. The original fixed ports for my boat were replaced with overlayed plexi by the PO. it's not a blue water boat. Is 3/16" thick enough? I think it is. but wanted some input before i buy the stuff. thanks!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2009

resdog is on a distinguished road
3/16" is a bit on the thin side. It'll will likely have a good bit of distortion if it's not in a frame. I wouldn't go below 1/4". I just replaced my 5/16" (8mm) acrylic with 1/4" and it was ok because it's bolted in place. I didn't want to pop for an entire 4x8 sheet of the 5/16" so I used the 1/4" which was more readily available.
Old 02-20-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Thanks resdog! Well, they do lay quite flat, I was thinking 1/4" also but the tell me lexan is pretty strong stuff. mine is screwed through oversized holes with washers for expansion and theres a SS lip on the top edge that makes water shed over the top. May I ask where you got your lexan?

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-20-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I have 1/2" fixed Lexan portlights on the pilothouse and coach house that would likely stop small arms fire, but that's supposed to be "blue water grade". I replaced 1/4" Plexiglas fixed ports on my sloop with the same 1/4" and I would hesitate to go thinner than than, even with Lexan. I would get 1/4" as others are advising.

Opening ports: tempered glass.
Old 02-20-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Denise, there's all kinds of Lexan (brand of polycarbonate) and similar materials. The supplier can tell you exactly which grade that is, and then the maker will have specs on their web site. Any polycarbonate will be better than most of what was used on "stock" boats, whether you want to go beyond what they have is another question entirely. There are some grades of polycarbonate that are specially scratch-resistant, UV-resistant, or both. Usually--that would mean ordering in whole 4'x8' sheets though, and they can get pricey.
Old 02-20-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Denise—

The thickness really depends on how strong you need and how big the ports are. Also, you really want the anti-scratch and anti-UV coated Lexan. If this stuff isn't coated, then it won't last as long.

Check with an industrial sign supply company in your area, as they may have partial sheets available at a reasonable price.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-20-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
This is true. Offcuts and wonky bits are common, or if you can deal with a slight flaw (say a small scratch close to the edge), you could save a bundle.
Old 02-22-2009

cutterorient is on a distinguished road
polycarbonate

I replaced polycarbonate lenses on the three hatches on my boat and all the dorade boxes as well. 1/2 inch bronze tint was on there and thats what I used to replace it. Could I have gone thinner? Maybe. But everytime I am out in something that is really rough I never think about the hundred bucks I didn't spend. Are those lenses strong enough? It never enters my mind.
Old 02-22-2009
Junior Mumbler

Trimmer is on a distinguished road
I couldn't buck up for Lexan , so I used 3/8 Plexiglass. It's been a few seasons now and It's in great shape! I found some great gasket material at (Mcmaster-Carr) on the net.

"It's nice to be nice to the nice" Frank Burns
Old 02-23-2009

resdog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Thanks resdog! Well, they do lay quite flat, I was thinking 1/4" also but the tell me lexan is pretty strong stuff. mine is screwed through oversized holes with washers for expansion and theres a SS lip on the top edge that makes water shed over the top. May I ask where you got your lexan?
I used tinted acrylic. For my use there was no reason to go with Lexan (polycarbonate). We use a supplier called Cope Plastics. They have offices all over the US.