Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-20-2009

jackMcN is on a distinguished road
delaminated deck repair

I'm interested in a boat that is described as having wet and delaminated decks. The yard that has the boat reported to me that "There is no apparent water intrusion as you can see no water stains on the ceiling boards or other interior wood.The deck seems to be quite wet as we have taken core samples to determinethe extent of this. This core correction is estimated at $18-20,000".
My questions are:
1) What is the best method to repair this?
2) After repair, will the deck be safe?
3) what would be a reasonable price for this repair (31 foot sailboat)?
4) what is involved with repairing this?
5) Is this level of repair best left alone, search for another boat?

Any and all information on this issue will be appreciated. Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Real hard to say. First thing I'd check into is the reputation of the yard. If they pass muster, get the owner to pay for the repair and when done to your satisfaction, you'll buy. Asuming the price is otherwise a good deal.

If done correctly the deck should be fine. They will probably peel off the deck, remove all the core, replace the core and then put the deck back on. there is variation on whether to put the deck back on or just glass over a new skin.

But is the boat worth sinking $20,000 into?
Old 02-20-2009

Thanks for the quick reply. The yard seems responsible and has lots of good references. The yard service manager has stated that the boat can be sailed for several years without the repair being done but that each winter the freeze / thaw cycle will cause more damage. The real question is: is it worth sinking $20K into the project. The boat had been listed for $20K more and the price dropped to reflect the cost of the project, so I'm not sure.
Old 02-20-2009

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
1. Open the deck from a top (remove top lay of fiberglass), remove rotted core, replace core, reglass it. Do it in segments.
2. Depending on a quality of job. It can be done to original specifications without any problems.
3. Materials cost around $3000 for entire deck, I guess.. It is simple, but labor consuming project, I’d do it in couple months singlehandedly.
4.I answered that one already
5. Yes, it is better left alone, there are, most likely, other problems as well. Besides, there are hundreds 30 ft boats sitting and waiting for a new owners.
There is tons of information on this forum and on internet on repairing coring problems
Old 02-20-2009

Thanks CrazyRU, that's my big concern is if the deck is delaminating will there be other areas of delamination.
Old 02-20-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackMcN View Post
I'm interested in a boat that is described as having wet and delaminated decks. The yard that has the boat reported to me that "There is no apparent water intrusion as you can see no water stains on the ceiling boards or other interior wood.The deck seems to be quite wet as we have taken core samples to determinethe extent of this. This core correction is estimated at $18-20,000".
My questions are:
1) What is the best method to repair this?
2) After repair, will the deck be safe?
3) what would be a reasonable price for this repair (31 foot sailboat)?
4) what is involved with repairing this?
5) Is this level of repair best left alone, search for another boat?

Any and all information on this issue will be appreciated. Jack
This can be repaired, but it is a very major task to do so. If properly repaired, the deck will be as strong as it was when originally built, if not stronger. The price really depends on how large the delaminated areas are—as I seriously doubt that the entire deck is delaminated.

The way this type of damage is generally repaired is cutting off the top laminate, removing the core material, replacing the core material, and then replacing the top laminate layer.

If the delaminated areas are extensive, I'd say you'd be better off getting a different boat. There are a lot of boats out there, and getting one that has been well maintained is often less expensive than buying the same boat with extensive damage and getting it repaired.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-20-2009
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
In this market I'd go shopping for another boat. There are to many boats out there without this kind of problem offered at good prices.
Old 02-20-2009

Thank you all for your advice. This was my first post on sailnet and I'm very impressed with the quick responses. I'm not sure what I'm going to do but I've just started looking for a new boat and there seem to be some very good deals out there. I've been out of sailing for a few years with the kids in college but now they're out and it looks like a good time to be in the market for a boat.
Old 02-20-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Generally speaking, boat mfr's will use the core method anywhere there is a flat surface so usually the hull will not have this kind of problem.

Everybody has one:

Old 02-20-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
BTW, welcome to Sailnet