Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-21-2009

kbyte is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Kudos for Alado

Last week, while flying along, double reefed, in 25 knots of wind, my forestay parted. Having the mast come down in conditions like that is no fun at all. Using sheets, halyards, and cables, we were able to secure everything with a spider web of lines and motor home.

Later, at the dock, trying to organize the mess, we found everything pretty much intact. Nothing was broken (except the forestay). It all just folded together without any real damage.

Only things missing were the Windex and a small bracket from the Alado furler.

I called Dave Davenport, the Alado rep, and told him what happened, and asked if they could get me a replacement bracket. He said no problem, they would mail me one.

This morning FedEx knocked on my door. It was the bracket- shipped from the Alado factory ...in Brazil ...intl priority ...Saturday delivery ...on their nickel ...no charge to me.

What a class act! A small but very bright spot in an otherwise very bad situation.

K
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Ouch... sorry to hear about your rig... how bad is the damage??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-22-2009

Keldee is on a distinguished road
Why did the forestay break.Why I ask is that maybe there is a lesson there for us to learn.
Old 02-22-2009

No real damage other than the forestay. The mast came down very slowly, (I thought I was in a kung fu movie) and came to rest on the stern pulpit cushioned by lines and sails. It did take out the loran antenna, but I tossed the loran unit a year ago and had been meaning to throw out the antenna anyway.

The boat is a 1978 Cal 2-27, and it's possible those were the original cables. The stay was sheared right at the turnbuckle- slow corrosion at the weakest point. The lesson I learned is to replace all your standing rigging at least every 30 years on the dot, and don't procrastinate.
Old 02-22-2009

How often do you check your rigging? Due to the salt water element( we dont have that consideration up here)do you spray a water repellant into your turnbuckles to displace the water? I cant remember what it's called but we used it when in salt water and seemed to work well.
Old 02-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldee View Post
How often do you check your rigging?
Obviously not often enough.

Our water here in Pamlico Sound is only a little bit salty- not even enough to taste. It varies a little depending on wind direction and if there has been rain lately, but, on the whole, we don't have any of the real salt water problems you see closer to the ocean.

My inclination would be not to use any kind of treatment other than to hose off obvious salt deposits with fresh water and let things air dry.

There was a tiny little spec of rust at the very end of the cable where it broke. I don't think anyone who is not a professional rigger would have spotted it on casual inspection.

I think the only way to prevent this sort of thing from happening is to know the age of your standing (and running) rigging, and to replace it regularly. How often that would be depends on your location and how you use your boat. BFS enthusiasts like me probably need to do it more often than most. Your local rigger or sailmaker would probably be the one to ask.
Old 02-22-2009

Kbyte what the heck is BFS?
I forgot that Your area isn't that salty.We too had a 25kn double reefed sail in your area,from Broad Creek to Adams Creek I think in the 4 times we went past there only once was there not a lot of wind.We liked to anchor in Jonaquin(is that how its spelt?) Creek.Nice and quiet no boats roaring through.
Just love your whole area.Do you ever get to Downey Creek? They are such lovely people at that marina.I just loved her voice over the VHF.Mind you that is a fair distance from you I think.
Take care and have fun
Ellinor
Old 02-22-2009

Quote:
Kbyte what the heck is BFS?

For more than you ever cared to know about BFS see:

Big Freakin' Sails
Old 02-22-2009

Thank You on the info.I call it being terrified but loving every minute!
Ellinor
Old 02-22-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yeah, BFS= being terrified but loving every minute on alot of boats.
Quote:
Thank You on the info.I call it being terrified but loving every minute!
Ellinor

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.