Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-24-2009

norsearayder is on a distinguished road
in raising large boats from the bottom my bro has used a bunch of plastic barrelles with the fill on the down side and then fill them with air ... it worked on a 50 foot drager..if you have to run a belly strap underneath..let the tide bring her down side up good luck...id rathe r be lucky than good any day
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy1414 View Post
SV,

...It seems to me that one of your biggest assets is time. ...take the time to devise a plan to keep further damage at a minimum. ...So use your time wisely to devise your plan and then act quickly to implement it. Good luck, Captain.
I would disagree that this situation is not urgent. I would worry that wave action from the next storm, or just from daily tide action, will fill the hull with silt. Should that happen, it seems unlikely the boat will ever be removed in one piece.

I would also wonder whether the state would be taking an interest in the boat's removal...maybe someone can advise what the relevant rules/regulations are.

This Pearson is a nice boat and it would be a shame to see it suffer further injury.

Last edited by sailingfool; 02-25-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-25-2009
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
Heres a link with all the pics i have of it as it sits.

Pearson salvage pictures by Bandit240 - Photobucket

Yes it is a bit urgent that i get it raised and up as soon as i can. The water here is full of silt and already working to fill it. I had that issue with the Columbia 24 that i raised a few years back. It was on its side in a small creek and filled up with mud in a matter of 2 weeks. It also didn't have any hatches on it, so that helped to speed up that issue. This was the way the Columbia was sunk. I got it up by attaching a rope to the mast at the spreaders and winching it up with a come-a-long. Granted i had a sunked trawler to work from.

Ive been going around and talking to as many people as i can that may know a thing or 2 about this stuff. Ive gotten some good ideas and some bad ideas. The hardest thing ive found is to get people to see that im not trying to stand it up right now, just trying to turn it around to where the deck is facing the marsh, then ill worry about pumping it out and floating it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1972 Pearson 36 S.V. Distant Star
Old 02-25-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
My 2 cents.

Load the mast to bring it to water level so that you will have the weight on the large surface of the side.

If you think the mast will take it, attach a line to the top of the mast to spin the boat then reattach to the bow to drag the boat to deeper water but keep the mast down. Maybe rig the halard as an extra back stay. Might protect the rudder this way.

If you can, a blue plastic tarp slid under the boat as it spins might help it slide a bit. Using two tarps might allow using one then the other to get it to deep water.

Maybe use heavy duty trash bags and inflate them to drive out and keep out water.

It's just so sad.

Best of luck.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 02-25-2009
Belliure 41'

JT1019 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JT1019
You need to make her water tight but you don’t want to add any weight. Do what the insurance salvage experts do, go to home depot and get expending foam. Expanding foam kicks when it comes into contact with any water vapor, should be easy as you are almost under water. Seal everything that can leak, even if you think it’s tight. Use bung plugs with duct tape if you have to. Get as many pumps running as possible. This might include a pump to bring water in as you want to wash out the silt to lighten the boat. Keep them running as long as possible, even if the boat seems dry!!! As to the broken chain plate, use a halyard or get some wire and attach it to your masthead and the rail. Make it tight!

Get a big boat to spin you, you are not going to move it yourself. The only other thing that you might want to consider is using a car jack and some cribbing to lift your keel up a little. This would make it easier to pivot once the tide comes in.
Old 02-25-2009
Salty

MSter is on a distinguished road
It is with a saddend heart I look at these photos. With as much blood, sweat, & time we put into our boats it seems the tears are inevitable. I can only hope she sees better days quickly.

In situations like this, are there any concerns with salvage rights or piracy with someone swooping and and taking her right from underneath you? I can only assume you must be very carefull as to who you involve to raise her as well as how......Can something as simple as receiving a line from another boat call into question salvage ownership?
Old 02-25-2009

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
I'm not familiar with the tides in NC, but up here this time of year, our low tides are really low. If that's the same case there, is it possible that a much higher tide in spring might better enable you to pump it out and get it floating?
Old 02-25-2009
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
I think you mainly need to get the boat sealed as best you can (at max low tide) from more water getting in and then pump like mad to get it re-floated. You might need to pack rags in where vents can't be sealed; try to recall where every opening is so you can get them all blocked before pumping. Also be sure you are not holding water in places where it won't drain to the pump like cockpit lockers, a sealed lazarette area or storage lockers inside the boat. Pump your fresh water tanks out to help reduce net weight once you get the hull pumped out.

As soon as the boat begins to displace water the low points where water is flooding in may be up high enough to stop leaking. As the high tide arrives the boat will stand up much further since it has restored bouyancy. Once the boat is up/floating but still laying on her side and aground when high tide arrives, I think you need to make a bridle that will pull the boat off laterally letting the keel slip sideways across the mud. If you try and pivot the boat it might just dig in further or cause damage to the keel/hull joint.

If you get her floating and need to reduce the load on the keel you could pull down on the mast by hoisting weight aloft (like sandbags). Use the aluminum toerail to your advantage and attach the turnbuckle of the shroud to it and use it as a temporary chainplate (also tension as many halyards as you can to it to distribute the load). It should not take too much mass weight/leverage on the mast to get the boat to tilt enough to raise the keel off of the mud.

Sorry to see your boat in this situation SVDS

Last edited by KeelHaulin; 02-25-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-25-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
inflatable beds! the sell em at walmart in the camping section! big, rectangular, and easy to inflate! Also try a string of plastic barrels end to end, on the low side and winch the ends (may need anchors or 2 boats) so the barrels start to roll under the low side. Gotta close up the ports and hatches. or maybe you can convice someone to let you borrow their floating docks and tow em out there to give you some sort of platform to work from?

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-25-2009

cruisingdream is on a distinguished road
2 points

1 dredge under the boat not with shovels but with a couple of water pumps blow out the sand/mud from under the boat & keel

2 stop water entering boat & pump out to make as light as possable look at salvage boat photos they use spray foam insulation & plywood to seal large holes

good luck