Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-23-2009
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
If you go with a triple block with cam cleat; you might have too little leverage. The cabin top winch adds about 20:1 of leverage so you would be losing that compared to the 6:1 of a triple block. I don't think a 4:1/8:1 (two speed) system will work in your situation because the boom is setup for 3 blocks/bails to distribute the mid-boom load. You might want to rig it so that one end is on a cam cleat and the fixed end that normally attaches to a becket is led back to your cabin top winch so you can also trim with the existing winch.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It will be a six-to-one purchase, and the boat is only 28' LOA. You're assuming that it leads to a cabin top winch, which I don't believe it the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post
If you go with a triple block with cam cleat; you might have too little leverage. The cabin top winch adds about 20:1 of leverage so you would be losing that compared to the 6:1 of a triple block. I don't think a 4:1/8:1 (two speed) system will work in your situation because the boom is setup for 3 blocks/bails to distribute the mid-boom load. You might want to rig it so that one end is on a cam cleat and the fixed end that normally attaches to a becket is led back to your cabin top winch so you can also trim with the existing winch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-23-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Not sure if it is possible. But if you SH like you say, you may find moving the traveler to the cockpit just in front of your wheel to be a better option yet. Then a 4-1 with a 4-1 micro would be right at your finger tips. Granted costlier, along with the traveler now being at your feet in the cockpit taking up some room, but possibly a better solution. Or even a 6-1 with 4-1 micro would be easy to pull on from the back of the boom.

I'd also concur with some of the others, leave the vang in place and rig the main sheet to what is appropriate for your needs.

Marty
Old 02-23-2009
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Could be from an earlier or later incarnation of the same boat... a mk II or something like that.
I grabbed the first drawing on line and it is of a Newport 28 II. Here's a scan of the drawing I have from the original documents that came with the girl. You can see that the rig is the same.

The mainsheet does lead to the cabin top winch, which is a nice thing to have. I think I will keep the rig as is, and find a way to improve the relationship between the boom vang and the rest of the rigging. Only costs money, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Rigging change?-newport_28_sailplan_sm.jpg  
Old 02-24-2009
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
It will be a six-to-one purchase, and the boat is only 28' LOA. You're assuming that it leads to a cabin top winch, which I don't believe it the case.
Yes; but the sheeting is mid-boom and not at a single point which really increases the load on the sheet (first because it is mid-boom; second because the angles of the lines are not vertical when close hauled). If it were a simple triple block at the end of the boom then the sheet load would be much lower. The original setup for the Newports were for a cabin top winch; which multiplies it's leverage in addition to the 5:1 block setup.

My boat (a Newport 41) has the same setup; but the winch is a much larger Lewmar 42 two-speed. When we sheet it while power reaching it really requires the 2'nd speed to grind it in which means the loads on the sheet must be quite high. I've seen 41's with a cam block on the mainsheet; I can't really figure out how they sheet it while it's under any load.

I realize that his boat is a 28'; but the sheet loads will be similar at higher wind speeds (likely too high for hand-sheeting).

jaschrumpf-

Have you visited this website yet? - Newport, Neptune, Gulf sailboats built by Capital Yachts

Lots of discussion on the Yahoo group; subscribe via the link on capitalyachts.
Old 02-24-2009
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Yes, that site is where I got the first drawing of the Newport sail plan. I'll check out the Yahoo group, too.

Thanks!