Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-22-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Lubricants for the boat

With the spring season coming up I have been doing some misc projects on the boat and have been to the hardware and marine stores numerous times getting ready to clean the engine, oil all tranmission cabels, sail tracks, standing rigging, seacocks, and anything else that needs grease on a sailboat. I used to think WD-40 was the answer to everything but it seems that it is not and there are many different products that are much better suited to the individual task. So with that in mind, what are the best lubricants to use for these different projects or any other common ones I may have missed:

-Sail tracks, standing rigging (Marine Dry Lube?)

-winches (?)

-To spray into the underside of seacocks to oil them when the boat is on stands (Bought and was thinking of using Liquid Wrench white lithium grease)

-A spray to lightly coat and clean the metal surfaces of your diesel (Have used Boeshield T-9 Rust and Corrosion Protectant)

-Use to oil or lube throttle and transmission cables (Boeshield T9 or Liquid Wrench?)

-Use to get off stubborn bolts (Bought and was going to use PB Blaster)
Old 02-22-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk235 View Post
With the spring season coming up I have been doing some misc projects on the boat and have been to the hardware and marine stores numerous times getting ready to clean the engine, oil all tranmission cabels, sail tracks, standing rigging, seacocks, and anything else that needs grease on a sailboat. I used to think WD-40 was the answer to everything but it seems that it is not and there are many different products that are much better suited to the individual task. So with that in mind, what are the best lubricants to use for these different projects or any other common ones I may have missed:

-Sail tracks, standing rigging (Marine Dry Lube?)
McLube SailCote

Quote:
-winches (?)
Should be greased and oiled annually. Grease the bearings, oil the pawls.

Quote:
-To spray into the underside of seacocks to oil them when the boat is on stands (Bought and was thinking of using Liquid Wrench white lithium grease)
Any good waterproof grease should work.

Quote:
-A spray to lightly coat and clean the metal surfaces of your diesel (Have used Boeshield T-9 Rust and Corrosion Protectant)
Boeshield is good stuff, but I'd hesitate to spray it on surfaces that are going to get too hot.

Quote:
-Use to oil or lube throttle and transmission cables (Boeshield T9 or Liquid Wrench?)
Better off with a dry film lubricant, like SailCote, as Boeshield will tend to attract dirt and then get gummy.

Quote:
-Use to get off stubborn bolts (Bought and was going to use PB Blaster)
Good stuff, as is Kroil. Be careful with it though, since it tends to eat seals and gaskets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Thanks SD
Old 02-22-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
To keep the engine looking good try Pledge furniture polish.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 02-22-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Glad to help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk235 View Post
Thanks SD

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.