SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Boat Spring Cleaning Ideas? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/51783-boat-spring-cleaning-ideas.html)

Joesaila 02-22-2009 08:13 PM

Boat Spring Cleaning Ideas?

I did a search about spring cleaning and came up w someone who has some gear to unload and another fellow who was inquiring about where 'boat smell's come from. Well, I'm interested in what some of the experienced people do to prepare the interior for launching. Last year I emptied the boat and cleaned all surfaces w a 7% bleach solution. It worked pretty nice but I'm sure there are some deep cleaners who can offer better ideas and good info. What do you do?

billyruffn 02-22-2009 09:32 PM

We use vinegar and water for most cleaning. When it really gets dirty we use something like Simple Green. Bleach sounds a bit harsh to me, but if it works.....

timebandit 02-22-2009 10:40 PM

Windex

sailingdog 02-23-2009 12:47 AM

Vinegar is also good at preventing mold and killing odors. :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by billyruffn (Post 453400)
We use vinegar and water for most cleaning. When it really gets dirty we use something like Simple Green. Bleach sounds a bit harsh to me, but if it works.....

patrickrea 02-23-2009 01:51 AM

Someone mentioned that TSP will do a good job in the darker corners before repainting the unfinished glass on the inside of lockers and other storage areas.

sailingdog 02-23-2009 10:26 AM

TSP is great for de-greasing and cleaning prior to painting. ;)

cruiserdave 02-26-2009 11:12 PM

My wife and I use Clorox II and plenty of different types of scrub brushes, go the hardware store and buy 1 of each. The toothbrush is my favorite! I have found as the years go by it is harder to twist the body is 6 different ways to get that last spot though. Bottle brushes also help. Clorox does leave a residue so rinse well and wash with soap if your going to paint. Otherwise the residue helps with the mold and mildue looking for a spot to procreate.

David

PS The fumes will also do an incredible job of cleaning your lungs also. Ventilate well and use a face mask. respirator with a charcol filter. Otherwise you can get a good buzz as a side benefit.

Keldee 02-26-2009 11:41 PM

I also find vinegar very good to spring clean the boat also with the trusty tooth brush.Vinegar and baking soda are the only cleaning tools I will allow on our boat.Kinder on the environment.Bleach is only used to put in the water tank to keep it fresh.

Gansett2045 02-27-2009 03:56 PM

Cleaning

Seconds and thirds on vinegar and water. Also can add lemon juice for a fresher smell. Use vinegar to clean the head throughout the season.

Lemon juice or even sliced lemons and baking soda are great for removing tarnish on SS. Terry towel buff and rinse off.

Borax is another good additive for cleaning and also scouring.

Hydrogen peroxide is a safer sanitizer than bleach for water tanks.

Simple Green is not as eco-friendly as they advertise. Home concoctions are just as effective as most commercial products for everyday cleaning. Save them as a last resort.

MorganPaul 02-27-2009 04:00 PM

Mix Borax with the bleach. I learned that from Sully :D .