Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-23-2009

labestia is on a distinguished road
Inclination visible at Rudder

Hello:

In the pre-purchase process of a 2004 Bavaria 44 we found that although the rudder has been confirmed not to be bent; it has an aprox. 3-5 degree inclination to one side when examined out of the water and visually compared against the keel. There is no evidence of accidents to the rudder. Should this be of my concern? If so, what can be done abot this?

Please help.

La Bestia
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2009

Rockter will become famous soon enough
What about a picture there lab?
Old 02-23-2009
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by labestia View Post
Hello:

In the pre-purchase process of a 2004 Bavaria 44 we found that although the rudder has been confirmed not to be bent; it has an aprox. 3-5 degree inclination to one side when examined out of the water and visually compared against the keel. There is no evidence of accidents to the rudder. Should this be of my concern? If so, what can be done abot this?

Please help.

La Bestia
In other words, you think it was installed this way at the factory? That does not seem possible. It seems to be a spade rudder. It has got to be bent:
Attached Thumbnails
Inclination visible at Rudder-b44.jpg  
Old 02-23-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
I agree with Thumbs, it's far far more likely the rudder was bent in a grounding or drop than it is that the factory installed it at an angle. The original owner would not have accepted it in that condition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 02-23-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Check the rudder bearings, could be nothing more bearings being louse or not seated properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

Old 02-23-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
3-5˚ is pretty noticeable, and I doubt they would let it leave the factory that way. I would second that it was dropped or hit in some manner.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-23-2009

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
I have seen some pretty strange things on new boats. If you have confirmed that the rudder stock is true then it can only be one of two things. 1. bushings/bearings are bad or the rudder tube was not installed plumb.

If anyone can tell me how to post it. I have a pdf. copy of the survey report of the Bavaria 42 whose keel fell off a few years ago. After the survey and two other 42's were inspected, all Bavaria 42's were banned from Croation waters.
Old 02-23-2009

cutterorient is on a distinguished road
Rudders are kind of important. Aside from the saftey concerns, there is a good chance that, even if it never breaks, there will be some annoying performance issue you will hate after you get to know her, like maybe never being able to fully balance the helm. I would inspect the entire assembly on the interior. It appears someone is not being straight which makes me want to walk. If there is a lie about the impact I would walk as who knows what other BS you have been told. If it was truly this way from the factory I would walk. I would never want a yacht where no care was taken to such an important piece. If something visible is shoddy, imagine what lurks where you can't see?

There are a frigtening amount of boats for sale, keep moving.
Old 02-23-2009

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Cutterorient: I understand your position but as one who sometines surveys new boats (for very wise buyers) I think you would end up walking from most new boat deals.
Old 02-23-2009

cutterorient is on a distinguished road
I understand what you are saying. I bought a boat with problems - I guess we all have. And I love her. But as in choosing a romatic partner I guess we all have different 'things' we excuse. The things that are wrong with my boat do not in any way compromise the safety of me and crew. She was built strong and true from day one. I can deal with a leaky hatch, but my rudder hangs true. I am just willing to bet that will haunt the buyer if he takes the yacht. But I am often wrong about a great many things. I just keep saying ' untrue, unsupported rudder and no one knows why' over and over in my head.