Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-10-2002

ldbarker is on a distinguished road
Solar panel

The boat I purchased has a Uni-Solar flexible panel that is wired through the electrical panel of my boat. Since there are no instructions, I need to know if I need to have the switch to the solar panel in the on position for it to recharge the battery. Do I also need the switch for the battery in the on position. Thanks for any suggestions.
Larry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2002

acajun is on a distinguished road
Solar panel

There is no easy answer to your question. Each solar installation is a custom job, so you may have to look inside your electrical panel to trace the circuit. Solar cells produce power when they are not in darkness, so you don''t have to turn the solar panel itself "ON", but it must have a path to the batteries in order to charge them. Good Luck.
Old 10-27-2002

djmarchand is on a distinguished road
Solar panel

I assume by "wired through the electrical panel" you mean that the solar panel is wired to one of the DC circuit breakers- perhaps a 5, 10 or 15 amp breaker. That breaker may also serve something like a cigarette lighter output.

If so, just leave that breaker on all of the time as well as the main DC switch. Unisolar panels have built in blocking diodes, so there is no nead for another diode to protect if from discharging at night.
Old 10-27-2002

windship2 is on a distinguished road
Solar panel

ldbarker,
If your panel is wired through a breaker, it will then have to be in the on position to close the circut in order to allow currant to pass.
The output from the pannel to the breaker should be wired somewhere directly to the batts. Check and see.You shouldn''t have to keep the batt switch in the on pos to charge the batts.
Remember that the pannel has to be perpendicular to the sun for best performance.You won''t get much on a cloudy day and,of corse,you won''t get anything at night.

Dennis

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.