Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-23-2009

johnp30 is on a distinguished road
eliminating seacock for overboard discharge

I have a 1973 Pearson 30. I primarily day sail and cruise a few weekends and a few weeks each year in the Northeast with one or two additional people on board. Wherever I spend the night I can typically find pump out pretty easily.

The boat is hauled and on the hard now. The seacock located in the bow for head overboard looks okay (alhtough there's green crud all over it) but is probably the original. That said, I'm just not a fan of holes in the hull. I also like simple systems and want to "clean up" the many hoses and y valves around the head because I never pump overboard and frankly, dont want to.

Long story short, can I eliminate that seacock and glass over. And in the process eliminate all "extra" lines...so, in the end there would be: a line bringing sea water in to the toilet, a line from the toilet to the tank, a line from the tank to the deck for pump out. No y valves, no vented loops etc etc etc. Resale is not a concern.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2009

motion300 is on a distinguished road
yes of ,You know your needs for pump out
Old 02-23-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
John—

Yes you can glass over the opening after removing the seacock. You would still need a vented loop for the head intake line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-23-2009

johnp30 is on a distinguished road
Thanks sailingdog, appreciate the fast reply. Right now there is a 3/4 inch hose that brings the water into the toilet. Is this the line that should receive the vented loop before the toilet?...or are you referring to the line from the toilet to the tank??
Old 02-23-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp30 View Post
Thanks sailingdog, appreciate the fast reply. Right now there is a 3/4 inch hose that brings the water into the toilet. Is this the line that should receive the vented loop before the toilet?...or are you referring to the line from the toilet to the tank??
The vented loop for the head should go between the pumps outlet and the back of the toilet bowl. Do not install it on the suction/inlet side of the pump as this will cause the system to just suck air in through the vented loop. Most heads come with a short pre-made hose that goes from the pumps outlet around the back of the bowl to inject water into the bowl for flushing. Remove this hose and insert a vented loop in its place..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 02-25-2009

StanleyCup is on a distinguished road
Is there any consideration to the resale value if you eliminate the ability to discharge overboard? Someone who wants this ability would likely not consider a boat that does not have this ability.
Old 02-26-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Since you say you're not concerned about resale, I'd be more concerned that having to depend on pump-out would make long trips away from main centres a problem becuse if you have no pump-out and no self-discharge, a full tank leaves you with no heads.

The fitting is still good, why mess with it? You're just limiting your options.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 02-26-2009

scottbr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Since you say you're not concerned about resale, I'd be more concerned that having to depend on pump-out would make long trips away from main centres a problem becuse if you have no pump-out and no self-discharge, a full tank leaves you with no heads.

The fitting is still good, why mess with it? You're just limiting your options.

StanleyCup, like myself, is in the Great Lakes and at least a 2-3 week trip to get into water that we could actually dump overboard. I removed the hose to my macerator, closed off the opening in the holding tank and removed the macerator due to permeated hose and smell in the aft cabin. I doubt that reasale would be affected as most of the boats in this area tend to remain in this area.
Old 02-26-2009

Dick Pluta is on a distinguished road
I owned a '76 P30 that was had what was the OEM setup with no Y valve or overboard capability. I couldn't pump overboard. For 20 plus years on Lake Michigan, no problem. I moved east to NJ, no problem. Pumpout stations everywhere. Then I went down the ICW. Big problem. Apparently the EPA gave marinas grants to install pumpouts. When they broke down and the marinas had to fix them on their own dime, they just stopped offering the service. Getting pumped out was not easy. Here in the Bahamas....fageddaboutit! If you have it, I wouldn't get rid of it, even if you don't use it. The day may come when you need it.

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
Nassau, Bahamas
Old 02-26-2009
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
The vented loop for the head should go between the pumps outlet and the back of the toilet bowl. Do not install it on the suction/inlet side of the pump as this will cause the system to just suck air in through the vented loop. Most heads come with a short pre-made hose that goes from the pumps outlet around the back of the bowl to inject water into the bowl for flushing. Remove this hose and insert a vented loop in its place..
The vented loop should be above the water line or it will not vent as designed.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?