Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-23-2009
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Thanks Knothead

I sit here surrounded by shreds of double braid cuttings, marker caps, masking tape, and line but holding a reasonable looking eye splice, thanks to Knothead's video. I couldn't have done it with just the printed Samson instructions--I needed to see someone competently and calmly doing this thing that I kept screwing up.

I wish I had video of my 4 or 5 pathetic attempts leading up to the final product. It would be my gift to the community, helping others attempting this to relax knowing that there was someone out there much clumsier, much stupider than they could ever be. But I was inventive in my failures: Doh! Forgot to put the line through the shackle bail before closing the loop! Cut! How did that core come out there? Cut. What's this extra loop? Cut. Ah perfect...if only I had put the line through the shackle bail instead of the shackle. Cut. (I really did do that!)

And I think I still have enough line left on it for it to be my halyard

Thanks again Knot!

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
I'm really glad that you found the video useful.
Old 02-23-2009
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road
Knot,

The videos are great, any chance of you doing a tapered chain to rope splice version. (Yea easy, I know, but mine keep coming out looking like something that grew out of the black lagoon)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 02-23-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37SOLARE View Post
Knot,

The videos are great, any chance of you doing a tapered chain to rope splice version. (Yea easy, I know, but mine keep coming out looking like something that grew out of the black lagoon)
Good idea. I'll try to get to that this week.
I hope you're talking about the rope chain splice that I'm thinking of. I believe that there are several versions.
Old 02-24-2009
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
I hope you're talking about the rope chain splice that I'm thinking of. I believe that there are several versions.

Just looking for one that will go through my GD windlass!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 02-24-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
There are two commonly used versions of a rope-to-chain splice. One looks like a backsplice and is only connected at the end link. The other looks like a long splice and requires a fair number of seizings for its strength and continues forward along the chain.
Quote:

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-25-2009

Well, better late than never I guess.

This rope to chain splice was made using what I feel is a really crappy line.
I still think that New England make the best three strand.

Because of how loose and soft this line is, I felt that I should cross stitch as well as whip. The second video is just needle work. (and some nice music)

I hope these may be of some value.

Old 04-25-2009

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

This rope to chain splice was made using what I feel is a really crappy line.
I still think that New England make the best three strand.

>
Great videos knothead. I've used a eye splice(without the metal thimble) on the rope to chain splice thinking that just maybe the rope might be less prone to chafe without the separation of the 3 strands when passing through that last chain length. Just a hunch on my part. Would like to hear your thoughts. Also when looking at the defender web site for splicing services I noticed that they coat the splice with some sort of anti chafe protection. I can't seem to find what that product is.
Old 04-25-2009

You certainly don't want chafe where the line contacts the link. That's why it's important to do a nice tight whipping there. That will make sure that there is no movement.

I think that by separating the three strands and laying them along side each other where they pass through the link is the best way to go in as much as you have more contact between the line and the link. Passing the entire line through the link in the same direction before starting the splice seems to me would be more difficult and bulky. But I haven't tried it.

I have heard of people applying chafe protection the each of the three unlaid strands, but If you whip the splice tightly at that point to prevent movement you really won't have a problem with chafe.

Here's a photo of a splice that I did years ago and the real problem was the rusting of the link. I suppose that because the line doesn't really ever get the salt rinsed out of it and it lives in a damp chain locker really promotes that kind of corrosion. I soaked bee's wax into the line where it passes through the link in the new splice. I will know in a few years if it helps or not.

But you can clearly see that chafe between the link and the line was really not a problem.
The line was severely chafed in a number of places, but that was on the outside where it rubbed on the bottom and the bottom of the boat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.