Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-23-2009

glenisland is on a distinguished road
Converting an outboard

I have a newish ('06) Honda outboard, 5 hp, with a long-shaft and would like to convert it into a short shaft. Does anyone know where I could get the parts needed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2009

ReliableOutboardDOC is on a distinguished road
Honda conversion

There is a way to convert your Honda BF5A^la to a short shaft. You may not like the answer but it is a very expensive undertaking. From Honda , there is no kit available to do this but you can purchase all the seperate parts to do this.Basically it is just a matter of changing the midcase or the exhaust case and changing the shaft and water pickup tube.
I have done this before several times but have found it easier to just sell the 5 long shaft and buy a short shaft. Honda 5 is a sweet engine but I have found that the Tohatsu 5 is a much more balanced engine and priced nicer than the Honda. The Tohatsu actually weighs 5 pounds less than the Honda

Hope this helps
Bill
Old 03-02-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Assuming that you are going to use the engine with a sailboat, why would you want to convert it to a short shaft. We've had both on a C22. You get lots more power, especially in reverse with the long shaft. Even a long shaft is problematic for a sailboat in choppy water as the prop pops out of the water occasionally, over reving the engine and loosing power. If on the other hand, you want to use the engine on a dinghy, jon boat, or such, what would be your objection to the long shaft? Conversion can be done I'm sure, but you're going to spend a lot of money.
Old 03-03-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Bill has it right IMHO, better to sell the long and buy a short. With good planning it'll cost a whole let less an be next to no effort involved.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 03-03-2009

glenisland is on a distinguished road
I sold the 18' sailboat and now need a dingy outboard (I thought that inflatables shouldn't be used with long shafts). Sounds like I should just buy a new one. Anyone looking for a Honda long shaft?

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2009

jimmd is on a distinguished road
i had a long shaft converted to a short shaft and the price was not terrible but i had taken it to a shop and told them i was in no hurry. it took a couple of months but eventually they came up with the necessary parts from DEAD motors. of course this is only good if you can wait.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.