Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-24-2009

FourSeasMilford is on a distinguished road
O'Day 28 Main sheet arrangement

Just came back from checking the fit of a new exhaust I am making up. When I crawled up under the cover, things looked different from when I last left the boat. At first I thought that someone was after my tools (good luck finding a 9/16 socket- all of them are in the bilge under the engine!).

The only thing missing is my main sheet- someone must have needed a line in a hurry and helped themself.

I suppose it could me worse, and I work at West Marine, so getting a new sheet is not a problem- I just can't remember how it goes through all the blocks!

Does anyone have a diagram or picture?

Thanks, Pete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It would help if you said what the mainsheet setup on your boat was... it could be two triple sheaves for a 6:1, two double sheaves for a 4:1, three single blocks and a triple at the traveler for 6:1, etc. More information is generally better than less or Garbage IN ==> Garbage OUT as they say in the comp sci classes.

Harken has some good drawings. For instance, here's a 6:1 mainsheet using two triple blocks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-24-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Harken Mainsheet Trimming Systems
Old 02-24-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Does THIS kinda sorta help?

Looks like from the pic I linked at the I Heart O'Days shows you to have a 4-1 main sheet, so tie the sheet at the top of the fiddle on the track, up and thru one sheave of the boom double block, down to the small sheave on the fiddle, up to boom double block, down to the BIG sheave on the fiddle and thru the cam cleat!

You may at some point want to add a 4-1 micro to it, helps in windier conditions. Looks like your sails are similar to my 85 Jeanneau arcadia in size, and that is what I have done.

marty

on edit, HERE is a pic of a 280 on the hard, but it shows a cabin top traveler, again appears to be 4-1 in nature.

Last edited by blt2ski; 02-24-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-24-2009

Islander30Bahama is on a distinguished road
I grew up on an 80 O'day 28. They are great boats. There is an article in the current issue of Good Ol Boat on hte O'day 28 right now. That sucks someone took your mainsheet line. Good thing for that discount at West Marine that is one thing I could not live without.

Jeff
Old 03-04-2009

Thanks to everyone for all the help- I have a 4:1 system mounted over the cabin top.

BTW, I found my mainsheet- it was holding down a tarp about 5 boats away. Unfortunately, it was cut in half.

I retrieved it and replaced it with pieces of old clothesline.

Can't wait to run into the guy who thought it was just okay to climb aboard and help himself...

Thanks, Pete
Old 03-04-2009

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Pete,

Do you live in Milford or is your boat there?

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 03-08-2009

Denby,

I live in West Haven.

The boat will be in Milford this year- on a float.

I lost my happy home at Oyster Point Marina when that boat club from Bridgeport bought it.

I look forward to being back in Milford- I don't think there is a prettier harbor in CT!

Where do you keep your boat?

Pete
Old 03-08-2009

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Pete,

I'm on a float in Milford Harbor. I'm usually in section C, the only O'Day 302 at the moorings. There is a 302 at Milford Boat Works.

's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 03-08-2009

Forgot to tell you, Milford Boat works was an O'Day dealer, if you can't figure out the main sheet they might be able to help.

's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.