Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-25-2009

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
Bene505, I think spending US$700 to repair a spin is way too expensive. Heck for $700 more you could buy a brand new spin from Hong Kong. If it were mine, I would use spin repair tape to fix the tore area (been doing that to my spin anyway) and replace the mouth of the sock with cut-out from plastic bin (buy $5 from Ikea store).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2009

resdog is on a distinguished road
Lots of money spent on a junk sail. I'd put it toward a new one and fix the old one myself to practice on, meaning repairs and actually flying it. You might not even want to mess with a spinaker after trying it a couple of times.
Old 02-26-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Resdog is dead on...

All of the worst "opps" potencial should be experienced on and old dog, and any sailor should know how to fix a sail; your sailmaker is not going to follow you on every trip, and knowing contingency seamanship is the mark of a sailor.

Tape it, and then hand-sew the edge of the tape - great practice.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-26-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
The guys at Doyle Huntington would tell you the sail was JUNK if it was they have no interest in being dishonest

We also keep a lot of older sails patched up for training and delivery some spinnakers are 25 years old and while there NOT race sails there still worth putting in some money here and there

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 02-26-2009

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
Ya the doyle guys are very straight up w/ us whenever we bring our sails to him.
Old 02-26-2009
Mark on Camper 58

NICHOLSON58 is on a distinguished road
We had the same pleasant surprised mentioned above when our Nicholson 58 ketch arrived. We found matching kite and mizzen stay sails that looked like they had never been flown. The kite is in a new sock. I can hardly lift the bag.

New pannels should be a good fix as long as Doyle says the rest of the material has not lost its siezing or is otherwise compromised. Even if its not exactly the correct sail for the boat (Doyle can look this up) it is still good to have one.

Suggestion for spinnaker design. On the Heritage One-Ton I used to race one of the spinakers was specially built for us to suit the heavy, stiff Heritage. We had a 3/4 oz tri-radial with first two panels of 1-1/2 oz on the luffs. This extra material let us run that sail to 22 knots apparent without stretching. It was a killer race sail and held shape for many seasons.
Old 02-26-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
I told them to go ahead and fix it. Actually my exact words were "if you don't hear from me by tomorrow, go ahead and fix it". That gave time to get everyone's feedback on this, and if I got busy with something it would still get done.

I can't wait to fly it.

MrWuffles and the other Long Islanders/NY-ers/CT-ers: You're going to help fly it, right? It's been a long time since I've flown one on my old boat. Oh, and this one has a sock, so free lunch to anyone who's used a sock before who can help.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.
Old 02-26-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Dang it, on the wrong coast! ie left coast myself.

Socks are pretty easy honestly, Hoist the sock head up with halyard. make sure the sheets and tack line are correctly installed where you want them, Then hoist the sock from the front deck. Then some one in the cockpit needs to make sure the clew is somewhat sheeting in etc as you hoist the sock.

You do not need the jib up to hoist it, nor do you need it up to dowse. If you find your self in Seattle before flying your sail, look me up, and we can go out in my boat. Or find your self out here either on the 7th, 14th or 28th, and you can join me on those races that are 20 to 35 miles ea!

marty
Old 02-26-2009

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
I told them to go ahead and fix it. Actually my exact words were "if you don't hear from me by tomorrow, go ahead and fix it". That gave time to get everyone's feedback on this, and if I got busy with something it would still get done.

I can't wait to fly it.

MrWuffles and the other Long Islanders/NY-ers/CT-ers: You're going to help fly it, right? It's been a long time since I've flown one on my old boat. Oh, and this one has a sock, so free lunch to anyone who's used a sock before who can help.
Never flown one but sure looks like fun especially on your boat! I think caleb has some spinnaker experience.