Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-26-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Just a thought, which Beneteau should be able to confirm. The holes are evenly spaced at the point where the rubrail attaches, and by inference where the hull and deck/stern join together. I would guess that the holes were there intentionally for some bolts, screws, jig parts for holding the the hull and deck/stern together tightly while the joint was completed (curing time for fiberglass or adhesive that joins the two fiberglass parts). There was probably an oversight in the production of your boat in that these temporary holes were not sealed and glassed over. Also, I think to resolve the problem, you would seal the holes and glass over the holes. When Beneteu sees exactly what you are talking about, they should recognize the situation imediately. Send them some still photos from the video so they can see it exactly, including the uniform hole spacing. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2009

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Are you sure the holes aren't old attachment points for fastners? Has a tank of some sort been removed?
Old 02-26-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Bene,

My hunch is similar to NCC's above. It appears the screws that hold the rubrail in place were too long and penetrated completely through the laminate, creating a path for water to enter the boat as it trickled to the low point of the rubrail. The lingering question is whether these fasteners also serve to mechanically bind the deck to hull.

To save money, most production boats with swim scoop/step arrangements have those features incorporated into the deck mould. So when the "deck" gets attached to the hull, part of that attachment occurs down at or near the waterline at the bottom of the swim-scoop stern. (For this reason, many traditionalists prefer designs where the transom/stern is part of the hull mould, so that the hull-to-deck joint does not extend down to the waterline. But it's more expensive to do it this way.)

Often with these designs, a rubber rubrail gets put over the (unsightly) seam between the hull and deck. Sometimes the fasteners serve double duty and are part of the design to hold the hull and deck together. Not always, though. And It could be that those holes are caused by the hidden hull/deck fasteners, not the rubrail fasteners. Some builders merely tap their hull/deck fasteners into the laminate without actually through-bolting them ( ), and rely more on the chemical bond of adhesives. Some others tap them into an embedded aluminum plate.

Beneteau should advise you on this and suggest an appropriate remedy. (One serious concern would be if there is any coring in that material, but I doubt it.) I would not ignore it though. Keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 02-27-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog View Post
Are you sure the holes aren't old attachment points for fastners? Has a tank of some sort been removed?
The holes go on the whole extent of the stern, IIRC. They aren't attachment points.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.
Old 02-27-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If they were for the hull-deck join or the rubrail, they might go the whole extent of the stern.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-27-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

I just got off the phone with Ward at Beneteau USA. He took the time to look at this thread and even downloaded the video to look at the series of holes.

The holes were drilled for the screws that hold the rub rail (bumper) in place.

He recommended removing the bumper, unscrewing the screws that are leaking and resealing them by squirting 3M5200 (with a caulking gun) right into the hole and then screwing the screws back in.

I love the positive attitude they have there. I asked if this was the strangest question he got all week. He said no, this is one of the good ones, it's coming from someone who is trying to take care of their boat. These guys must love sailboats.

Anyway, I got another contact at Beneteau, I'm sure I'll be asking him more questions - intelligent or otherwise. Thanks everyone for the input.

(And I'm thinking maybe I should fill-in the holes from the inside. It couldn't hurt, other than squeezing into the tight space and breathing epoxy fumes, right? But it may be difficult if I use a lot of that 3M5200.)

Last edited by Bene505; 02-27-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-27-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I wouldn't use 5200 for that... I'd recommend using 4200 or something that you'd be able remove in the future.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 02-28-2009

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
Its great you got the reason for the hole answered. Must be nice to have the factory still in business for questions like that :-)
I know they recommended 5200, but if I was asking the question, I would of asked why not pot the holes with thickened epoxy as is recommended for most hull and deck holes? Maybe he is responding as he would to a typical owner that doesn't know what potting a hole means, but can handle a caulking gun. Or, that's what they used at the factory in the holes during construction.
1976 #552
Old 02-28-2009
Telstar 28

Wayne—

The fasteners still go through the holes is my guess...you wouldn't want to fill the hole with epoxy if you might have to remove the fasteners in the future.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-02-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

SD,

To Wayne's question, what about filling with epoxy AFTER the new screws are in place? Would that mean that one couldn't remove the new screws in the future? (If yes, then what about putting something on the screws so they don't stick to the epoxy?)

Regards