Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-25-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Small hole completly aft at waterline

On the hard, I went into the boat to take the water out from where it had collected, inside underneath the transom stairs. When I got to the boat, it was leaking water out!

No mistaking it, everything else around the boat was dry. Dry ground, dry deck. And yet there was clearly water dripping down out of the stern.

So I went down into the stern and vacuumed the water out with a shop-vac.

You can see the holes at bottom left. The color must be from long term seeping? (You can also notice the water level now reduced down as far as the vacuum hose could reach.)

The holes actually are part of a series of small holes that look to be part of how the boat was built, only the 2 are clearly letting water in.

Any thoughts on this?

Any suggestions on steps to fix it?

Do you think I have to take the rubber transom protector off the outside to fix this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
. .
. .
. .

Last edited by Bene505; 02-25-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2009

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
If you are referring to a rub strake on the stern and it covers a transom/hull joint, you have a problem - can't tell from the pics and don't know what type boat this is so can't be sure.

Is there a joint there? If so, the only good way to fix it is remove the rubber and clean and re-seal the joint. If water gets out, it can most definitely get in too so do a good job.
Old 02-25-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

I actually think this is how rainwater has been getting in, following the rubber strip, which would put it right into these holes. There's a video for those with very fast connections. It's 30Meg in size, so warning it's big:

http://hallmont.com/pics/sailnet%20p... waterline.AVI

The boat is a 2000 Beneteau 50.

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 02-25-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Hey Bene505,
It looks like it is going to be time for a bottom job on your boat. I would offer to help you do this but I am pretty sure that Brewer's Marina does not allow you to do this kind of work for yourself (I hope I am wrong about this but I suspect it is in your contract with them).
Are those 'weep' holes in what you called your 'basement'? One of the real questions is how is the water getting in there in the first place? Condensation and/or some other way? Fixing the weep holes is not such a difficult task with some sanding, new epoxy and glass introduced to the offending areas. Brewer's would probably love to have this work too but since it is inside the boat you can probably do it yourself (yes, I am offering to help out).
PM, email or call me if interested.

Everybody has one:

Old 02-25-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Thanks Caleb, I also have an email into Beneteau. They've been so great with parts, that I'd like to hear their perspective on this.

If you have high speed internet, take a look at the video.

Regards

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 02-26-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Bene,
I guess I need to plug my laptop into the ethernet cable as our wifi (wireless) connection does not give me a picture with the video. I will try again.
I forgot to ask if you ever noticed water down in the 'basement' of your boat while she was in the water AND do you think it was only fresh water that was in there?
Caleb

Everybody has one:

Old 02-26-2009

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
Small holes at the waterline. Seems like lightning strikes make small holes at the waterline or just above. Could there be any connection?
1976 #552
Old 02-26-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne25 View Post
Small holes at the waterline. Seems like lightning strikes make small holes at the waterline or just above. Could there be any connection?
They are very regularly spaced, and they curve up above the waterline, following the rubrail. So I'm ruling out lightening. See the video. (I ought to get a screen shot of the video.)

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 02-26-2009

FishFinder is on a distinguished road
I looked at your video, to me at least it seems odd that Beneteau would drill so many holes like that at the waterline. What's the point of the holes, I don't see any screws or bolts in them? Might be that you just need to remove the rub-rail thing, thoroughly clean out all the holes, and re-install with new sealant.
Old 02-26-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The holes appear to be fairly regularly spaced and uniform in diameter. I can't think of any reason they should be there though. I count at least eight of them in the video.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.