Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-26-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
great day working on the boat

well some of you might have read my bilge pump switch thread. the main reason for that thread was some leaks i had, causing some water to come in to the boat. first was my shaft packing, it would drip every few seconds while sitting. the other was my water seal on the water pump, it was pretty bad when i had the hull intake open with out the motor running it was literally a small stream running in.

so today i put in new gtu packing, a new oil seal and water seal on my water pump, a new impeller and a new ultima auto bilge pump switch. a dry boat is a good and happy thing.

the packing really sucked because i did not have enough room from the coupler to the packing nut to back it off. so i had to unbolt the motor mounts and slide the whole motor forward with the shaft, once i did that i had room. the funny thing is my motor mounts sit on a big steel angle iron 6 inches per side bolted to the sides of the engine compartment not a bed glassed to the hull. the real nice thing is the angle iron is at the same angle as the shaft so it was easy to get the alignment back. i just opened the decompression lever and turn the motor over using the hand crank, with the bolts a little bit lose. when it did this the motor moved until it was happy. it now vibrates less before, now it is just the single lunger not being a very smooth motor

just for general knowledge its a 1gm yanmar
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
The packing you used was Gore GFO if i am not mitaken? It is good stuffing and will last you a while.
Good job.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-26-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you used the GFO, you can expect it to drip less than the traditional packing material does and last longer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-26-2009

okay i used the west marine GTU, it contains the gore fibers too, i hope its basicly the same stuff. West Marine: GTU Gore Shaft Packing Product Display it deos not show the 1/4 inh stuff on the web site but they had it.

has anybody used the gtu stuff, beside me now?
Old 03-26-2009

Wanasail is on a distinguished road
scottyt, Did you determine if GTU packing you used from WM is the same prduct as Gore GFO? I want to put new "Gore GFO" packing in my boat because it's recommended by many boat owners, but I don't know if GTU is the same as GFO, or a cheaper knock-off version of it.
Old 03-26-2009

okay wana what i believe from what i read the gore stuff is 100 % gore fibers, the west stuff is gore fibers, graphite, and Molybdenum Disulfide. the moly is a great high pressure lube, it is used to lubricate some high end bullets, and yes i mean metal to metal contact at 3000 feet per second and 100000 psi.

it looks like the west gtu stuff uses the graphite to help pull away the heat, the moly for its lube qualities and the gore fibers for its properties.

the info i said i read is from the various makers sites, including west marine and gores site. i dont believe some of the stuff they say on the gore site slamming the gtu stuff. moly is a great lube, graphite is a decent lube to with good heat transfer qualities.

i dont know anything about the gore fibers to really say anything