Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-08-2009
BAD COMPANY

musttroll is on a distinguished road
That is the silliest reply to my qualified answers.

Guy don't you get it? you're still trying to find excuses for wrong information and terrible advise you've given earlier and this is not the only forum you've comented on with the same [EDIT-JRP] .

You think a few squirt of WD40 is an issue when some one is camping in the middle of nowhere and wants some piece of mined or sailing in the gulf /ocean and fresh water is at a premium etc, etc, etc.. ).

Look, I am not trying to disrespect you, but, you seem like you're hell bent on proving your self right about a product you know "NOTHING about" and do not own.

I doubt it if for the price and simplicity and reliability, as well as ease of starting, you could find without greater maintainence.

I shouldn't waist my time with you, as I made my point very clear in my earlier thread.

Just to further prove your lack of knowledge about what you preach.

Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki are great brands and deserve respect , yet none are designed to tilt and be raised to adjust in various positions such as island hopper can . point (1)

Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki can not run in 7" of shallow water full of debri , mudd , silt sand or weeds without clogging the impeller . point(2)

Their lightest is 20lbs heavier than my island hopper. point(3)

You can't lay them down or lean them otherwise the oil will travel into the engine block and you'll have a mess and will need a marine mechanic to fix that issue=$$$, where as my island hopper will not. point(4)

If you had a problem with those brand names on weekends or even during the week, you couldn't get anyone to help you, and if you can get someone to answer the line, you'd be luck and they'd refer you to another department or have you wait a week for them to call you back.
The people at Island hopper will always take your call and help you out as you talking with them, because they have a real live mechanic taking your call.

[EDIT-JRP]

I am sorry, if I hurt your feelings, but please be considerate when dishing advice.

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 05-08-2009 at 10:25 PM. Reason: No profanity or variations that defeat filters; also removed contact info for vendor -- no commercial self-promotion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
I am NOT hurt BUT you seem to have and undisclosed interest

And YOU don't want to admit that the complete LACK of SS parts is a serious issue for saltwater use

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-08-2009
Coastal Traveler

nereussailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nereussailor
I've got an 10.5' Achilles inflatable with a 3 hp sears Gamefisher air cooled engine on it. It's a little loud, but it works for what I need it for. It's not fast or powerful, but it works, and starts. I haven't had the motor started for over a year and a half. I put some fresh gas in it choked it and pulled. On the third pull it started. I bought this motor at a garage sale for $65. Yeah it's old, but it's light (maybe 20-25 lbs) and it works. I'd like a bigger motor, but hoisting it off the rail isn't worth the speed I'd gain. If I'm using the dinghy, I'm out sailing, and am not on a schedule. I'm in no hurry to get anywhere and don't really care if my dink can do 15 knots . But hey that's just me, everyone has their priorities.

Dave
Old 05-08-2009

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Musttroll:

You certainly have a right to firmly express your opinions on this forum, but you just joined us. You've also only made three posts so far, all on the same subject.

This, combined with similarities in spelling and grammar between your posts and the web site for the motor, lead me, and perhaps others, to speculate that you have some commercial interest in the product you are defending.

One thing that works well on Sailnet is that we mostly self-police for these sorts of issues. Usually, our "radar" is pretty good. Sometimes it isn't.

So, it's important for you disclose any self-interest or connection you have to the outboard you are describing.

If I'm wrong here, then I apologize... and welcome to Sailnet!

If I'm correct, then please identify your relationship and try again.... After that, then... welcome to Sailnet!

My personal input on the subject at hand is that the 4HP outboard on my 8' inflatable will allow me to plane, but who cares? I don't travel very far in my dinghy, and I wouldn't want to go that fast in an anchorage anyhow.

The 4HP is a pain in the butt to lift, and I wish I had something smaller.

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown

Last edited by djodenda; 05-08-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-08-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Musttroll—

I'd be curious as to what relationship you have to the leafblower outboard product. I'd also be curious as to why you'd pick MUST TROLL as your username.... unless it is a subtle warning about your intentions. Full disclosure is required, as stated in the special interest POST, which I'll quote here for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
It has happened many times, especially on this forum, where members that have a special interest try and redirect other members. As such:

IF YOU ARE GOING TO PLAY AN ACTIVE ROLE IN THIS FORUM, OR ANY FORUM ON SAILNET, AND YOU HAVE A SPECIAL INTEREST IN THE MARINE INDUSTRY, YOU NEED TO IDENTIFY YOURSELF AS SUCH. THIS INCLUDES BROKERS, BOAT MANUFACTURERS OR EMPLOYEES THEREOF, MAGAZINES, TV SHOWS, SURVEYORS AND ANY OTHER SPECIAL INTEREST GROUP.

The Ground Rules (which may be added to as needed) for this are such:

1) You shall not in any way self promote...this includes links or e-mail addresses.

2) You shall identify yourself and your interest in your signature, your title, or both.

3) You shall not openly promote your company. Take out an ad.

4) You shall not redirect for personal interests.

5) You SHALL be tranparent and forthright.

If we find out otherwise, your posts shall be edited, you may be banned, or both. We may also take further action as needed. Honesty and integrity. This is a place for open discussion amongst new sailors and seasoned salts alike. It is NOT a source for customers. If you want customers, take out an ad. Obviously, there are a LOT of sailors here that will see it.

- CD

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-08-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
The greater horsepower is not just a plane issue. Some of the anchiorages we have been in especially the ones in coastal areas have substantial currents. Also using you dingy to get back to your boat 2 miles away against a 15 knot wind and current with a 2 hp engine will take a longer time.

We didnt get our 4hp tahatsu to plane our dingy. It has the added advantage of having an external tank attachment. If your worry is puttiong it on the tender from the rail by install a crane. They are not expensive and they will allow you to SAFELY lift the motor on and off with minimal exertion or twisting of your back.

In a pinch you can use your spinakker or spare halyard.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-08-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by musttroll View Post
That is the silliest reply to my qualified answers.

Guy don't you get it? you're still trying to find excuses for wrong information and terrible advise you've given earlier and this is not the only forum you've comented on with the same [EDIT-JRP] .

You think a few squirt of WD40 is an issue when some one is camping in the middle of nowhere and wants some piece of mined or sailing in the gulf /ocean and fresh water is at a premium etc, etc, etc.. ).

Look, I am not trying to disrespect you, but, you seem like you're hell bent on proving your self right about a product you know "NOTHING about" and do not own.

I doubt it if for the price and simplicity and reliability, as well as ease of starting, you could find without greater maintainence.

I shouldn't waist my time with you, as I made my point very clear in my earlier thread.

Just to further prove your lack of knowledge about what you preach.

Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki are great brands and deserve respect , yet none are designed to tilt and be raised to adjust in various positions such as island hopper can . point (1)

Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki can not run in 7" of shallow water full of debri , mudd , silt sand or weeds without clogging the impeller . point(2)

Their lightest is 20lbs heavier than my island hopper. point(3)

You can't lay them down or lean them otherwise the oil will travel into the engine block and you'll have a mess and will need a marine mechanic to fix that issue=$$$, where as my island hopper will not. point(4)

If you had a problem with those brand names on weekends or even during the week, you couldn't get anyone to help you, and if you can get someone to answer the line, you'd be luck and they'd refer you to another department or have you wait a week for them to call you back.
The people at Island hopper will always take your call and help you out as you talking with them, because they have a real live mechanic taking your call.

[EDIT-JRP]

I am sorry, if I hurt your feelings, but please be considerate when dishing advice.

Musttroll,

This is a friendly site where we encourage sailors to express their opinions about products. Sometimes we have direct experience, sometimes it's just opinions based on research. If you don't agree with another member's opinion, you are equally free to debate it. But that debate should focus on the issues or ideas expressed. In other words, avoid personalizing it.

Another member above cited our requirement to disclose any special interest in a marine related product, and our prohibition on commercial self-promotion.

It's one thing to come here in the open, represent yourself as a dealer or vendor, and then politely explain why you disagree with (mis)information that has been posted about your product. It's another thing to come here and pose as simply a super satisfied customer that just wants to rave about the product because you've had such a great experience with it and the company. The first approach is helpful and permitted, the latter is disingenuous and prohibited here on SailNet.

You need to disclose your affiliation with this product. I have edited your latest post as indicated above.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 05-08-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Thanks JRP...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 05-09-2009
BAD COMPANY

musttroll is on a distinguished road
It took me a while to understand your post and I am sorry if I came off as if I am promoting the outboard in question and it was a mistake for me to continue to prove my point, as it was passion rather then being impartial. I did not realize your concern until now.

I do not own the company nor do I have any financial interest in it, but I did buy their outboard, so I guess I do have interest in that company's survival (you know warrantee, parts and such).

If I take it personal that's because, I own a small lawn mower service and lost business because of some ridiculous rumors, and sure wished I'd had someone watch my back and prevent these rumors, much like what's going on right now.

I posted 3 posting about this subject because, although, these postings were informative and seemed very conclusive, they lacked factual support another words they were opinions, and there is nothing wrong with that.
I on the other hand posted my experience with that outboard and supported my experience with facts. Clearly that was not a good idea, because it seemed like I have a hidden agenda? My bad.

I am new to posting messages, but not new to SailNet's postings, I waited a year to post my personal findings about this outboard just to make sure I had enough hours on it along with any troubling issues before posting .

Now my reason for a screen name "Musttroll", as if it's some kind of a play on words.(that's for the guy who was reading too much into my screen name)

I have a canoe and I can't stay still in it too long or for that matter in one spot fishing, so my son always says to me can't you just stay in one place and fish and I tell him lets just troll for a while, so that's why I chose "Musttroll" and, I also named my canoe "BAD COMPANY" because where I fish there's lots of mosquitoes.

I 'd be happy to contribute to SailNet forum when I have something interesting to share, otherwise I am happy to sit back and read your expert comments/ opinions.
Thanks for letting me speak my piece.
Old 05-09-2009
Telstar 28

I'd just point out that "trolling" on an internet forum has serious negative connotations...

Telstar 28
New England

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.