Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-27-2009

huguley3 is on a distinguished road
dinghy outboard 2 or 3.5 hp

I am looking at getting an outboard for the dinghy( 8' inflatable with a ribbed floor). I am looking at either the island hopper 2 hp or the evinrude 3.5. Both are 4 stroke. Besides the hp the 3.5 weighs almost twice as much as the 2. 20 pounds vs 40 pounds. The price difference is around $100 $529 for the 2hp and $625 for the 3.5. The evinrude is used but they claim its still under warranty for a year and the island hopper is new but an old model year with a year warranty.

I am wondering if anyone has used the island hopper outboard or seen one. I saw a post mentioning that they had a weed eater motor and were pretty noisy. I am mostly worried about pissing people off when I go putting back to the boat in the marina. I am also sort of concerned that 2 hp is not going to be enough if its windy. Lifting 40 pounds is not a big deal but if I only have to lift 20 then yay for me.

I am sort of cost concious so I don't really want to fork out the big money for a new honda outboard I am also not real enthused about getting a 2 stroke and having to mix gas and oil. So any pointers from people with dinghys?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
30' Islander Bahama
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2009
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Inflatables are much heavier and difficult to move through the water than they appear.

I'd go for more power!!
Old 02-27-2009

Bump is on a distinguished road
Horse power

Either motor is going to be slow going. That said I have a 3.5 Tohatsu 2 stroke on my 10 1/2' RIB. It gets me where I want to go. 20 lbs is a lot of weight when you are trying to lift the outboard off the transom of the dinghy and onto the rail of a sailboat in 20 knots of wind and a 2' chop. I have seen more than one engine go in the drink along with its owner.Yes you do want to mount the engine on the stern rail especially when towing the inflatabe in lousy weather. If it flips on you you do not want the outboard submerged too. As fax as mixing gas/oil its really not that much of an issue. I mix a gallon or two at a time and it lasts me quite a long time.

Last edited by Bump; 02-27-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-27-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
In the end you'll probably be happier with the 3.5.... esp if it has gears (or at least a neutral position)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-27-2009

huguley3 is on a distinguished road
Your probably right. I think I will focus in on the 3-4 hp motors and forget the 2s. I plan to get a stern rail mount for it. My boat had a couple of brackets on there that I took off because they did not look like they would support the motor very well and it would bang into the boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
In the end you'll probably be happier with the 3.5.... esp if it has gears (or at least a neutral position)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
30' Islander Bahama
Old 02-27-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
"island hopper 2 hp"

If your looking at one of those weedwacker outboards

That is a painfull way to go compared to the quality of a name brand

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 02-27-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Be aware that most of the small four-stroke 4 HPs are the same weight as the 6 HPs...since they're often the same outboard with a different carb.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-08-2009
BAD COMPANY

musttroll is on a distinguished road
Hello

I own an island hopper for 3 years and it's the 4 cycle 2hp, I can attest to its surprising performance. I can tell you that it runs as quiet as my old cruise n carry.

Much respect for the guy with the earlier post, i don't want to make enemies on this forum, but I have to say my piece, I don't think he knows what he's talking about nor did he read up on it, just likes to talk smart, calling it a weed eater when it aint, yeh you see the lower unit and think you got it figured out, now you can trash it to make yourself sound important.

Now how many 4 cycle 58cc weed eaters have you seen or held in your hand? none, cause they don't make them, they're too heavy and too powerful to hold in your hands for hours. I know cause I own a lawn mower service and in business 35years.

I am defending this jewel of an outboard, because it's getting a bad rap by someone who knows nothing about it, and I like the sales people of Island hopper, cause they spent several hours over the phone during at least 6 phone calls asking them the usual questions about their motor before I bought it, and even after I got it, I called them to make sure I was doing things right, not once were they impatient with me.

Like everyone else, I like to read fishing and boating forums for entertainment and information from trusting members and sure hate to read important information and get advice that will alter my purchasing decision to latter find out that the information I got was unfounded and useless and is down right nothing more than bull###t.

Enough ranting, now about this motor, I made a sound check and it puts out 89db two feet from the muffler and 83 db at nine feet
I get about hour and 20 minutes of running on one tank full which is about 34oz at trolling speed.
My GPS tells me at full throttle I am at 5mph and 2mph at mid speed that's the orange locking button trolling.
I use 71/2 oz of synthetic oil in the crank case, cause if I put more, she'll spit out the difference from the breather hose.
I change the oil every 20 hours of running time.
Weight 20lbs 2oz on my bathroom electronic scale.
when I lay her down in my truck, I make sure she lays on gas tank side.
I own a 14ft town and country canoe and when loaded it weighs around 450lbs.
I use premium gas and when not using it over the winter I add about 2 spoon full of stabil to prevent carburetor problems.
I go fishing in lakes mostly,and when on vacation, I head south TX area and I use it in salt water, now the propeller will lock up if I left it to dry without hosing it, so I carry a can of wd40 and spray around and behind the propeller if I can't hose it off, and that's a tiny price to pay to keep it running good.
Please feel free to contact me about that motor.
Old 05-08-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
now the propeller will lock up if I left it to dry without hosing it, so I carry a can of wd40 and spray around and behind

That is sort of a problem for the folks stuck using saltwater

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 05-08-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-08-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I've got a similar Zodiac dink with a Yamaha 2.5 four stroke. It will move the boat, but it won't get on plane which is ok with me for the way I use my dink. If I were going where I'd need to go further in the dingy in areas where wake was not an issue, I'd think about going bigger, but then I'd want a hoist for the motor. I'd probably want a RIB as well since I find the inflatable keel somewhat squirrly even with the underpowered 2.5 horses.

There was a 6 HP Merc for sale at our marina, and I almost went for it until I looked at the specs. For me, weight is the bigger concern than speed for now. Its a big enough "charley foxtrot" getting the 2.5 Yammy from the rail to the transom and back without anything or anyone going swimming.