Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
I am in the process of replacing my nav lights with LED's I have Aqua slignal series 25 fixtures. Dr LED has coast guard approved (2nm visbility) LED "bulbs" that work well with colored lenses. If you go with 2 pairs of lights each side of the mast, you could use stern light fixtures (white lens) and the colored LED's for the red and green lights. The power draw for these LED's is 0.11A each at 12 VDC. You could light yourself up like a Christmas tree for less power than running just one incandescent light.
________
married woman Cam

Last edited by nickmerc; 08-18-2011 at 05:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2009
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I agree with what JohnR has said and if there was an LED fixture available for the red over green I'd put one on. Visibility would be increased tremendously, especially in a crowded harbor with lot's of shore lights. The use of LED's should make it possible to have a very light weight unit at the mast head even with a meter separation and with very low current draw. Short of making my own I am not aware of any commercially built units, and I have searched.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 03-04-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Probably the best/most efficient way to implement it would be with a single red at the top of the mast, and a pair of greens on either side of the mast 3-5 feet below the masthead. Gets rid of one bulb, anyway, as well as a bit of wiring. The red could be capped with the all-round anchor light, too.

Any vendors listening?
My only comment is that is a very untraditional method of lightning (red over green). Would it be easily recognized as a sailing vessel by 99% of the people out there?? I don't know. It was like when we ran a black ball up. Law enforcement stopped by to make sure we were allright... they did not have a CLUE what the black ball meant. I only run it up now because the Sea Ray lawyers DO know what the black ball means!!!

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-04-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Im with Dad, how many people out there see a red and green simultanously and don't think they are bow on to another sailboat, and at a distance how are you going to be able to determine if it is in fact one light "Over" another light. I think I would be one of the ones making that mistake.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 03-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
especially in a crowded harbor with lot's of shore lights.
I disagree, in a crowded harbor, you're line of sight is not 50' up in the air, this is the same reason I don't like tricolor masthead lights in congested waterways.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 03-04-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
My only comment is that is a very untraditional method of lightning (red over green). Would it be easily recognized as a sailing vessel by 99% of the people out there?? I don't know. It was like when we ran a black ball up. Law enforcement stopped by to make sure we were allright... they did not have a CLUE what the black ball meant. I only run it up now because the Sea Ray lawyers DO know what the black ball means!!!

Brian
I know what you mean about the Sea-Rays --- we hoist our anchor ball for exactly the same reason.

But it's not the Sea-Rays I'm worried about on a dark night off-shore -- it's the ships. My hunch is they know exactly what red-over-green means. But we could ask Sailaway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
I disagree, in a crowded harbor, you're line of sight is not 50' up in the air, this is the same reason I don't like tricolor masthead lights in congested waterways.
That's the beauty of red-over-green -- it is used in conjunction with the deck lights so there are no issues in crowded harbors when eyes are generally focussed lower.

I think what JRD22 is saying is that a second elevated set of lights improves overall visibility not just off-shore but in congested areas where there can be background clutter. Any legal light combination that improves visibility should be helpful on balance.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-04-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Be aware, based on information I got recently from Maine Sail, per a discussion he had with someone at Dr. LED, the only LED replacement bulbs/fixtures that are USCG certified from them are the AS 40 Anchor light fixtures. Their website does not make it very clear, and I was under the mistaken understanding that more of their product line was USCG certified for use in AS 25 fixtures. THEY ARE NOT. If you were going to go this route based on information I posted earlier, it is my mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmerc View Post
I am in the process of replacing my nav lights with LED's I have Aqua slignal series 25 fixtures. Dr LED has coast guard approved (2nm visbility) LED "bulbs" that work well with colored lenses. If you go with 2 pairs of lights each side of the mast, you could use stern light fixtures (white lens) and the colored LED's for the red and green lights. The power draw for these LED's is 0.11A each at 12 VDC. You could light yourself up like a Christmas tree for less power than running just one incandescent light.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-04-2009
Courtney the Dancer

Sailortj, you are right, from a small boats perspective you are not looking 50-60' up. From the bridge of a ship or even a large harbor tug though it's a different story. Those little lights on deck or the little tricolor at the masthead tend to disappear quite easily. As far as someone not knowing what the red over green identifies, I would rather have them see me and not know what I am than to not see me at all. What about all the sailboats that run both the deck lights and the tricolor simultaneously - easily identified as someone that doesn't know what they are doing I guess, but causes a lot of confusion.

Old 03-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
Sailortj, you are right, from a small boats perspective you are not looking 50-60' up. From the bridge of a ship or even a large harbor tug though it's a different story. Those little lights on deck or the little tricolor at the masthead tend to disappear quite easily. As far as someone not knowing what the red over green identifies, I would rather have them see me and not know what I am than to not see me at all. What about all the sailboats that run both the deck lights and the tricolor simultaneously - easily identified as someone that doesn't know what they are doing I guess, but causes a lot of confusion.
Jrd,
Thanks, now, do you know how many people we see in my neck of the woods that think the steaming light is supposed to be on all the time while under sail? I don't think I have been very succesful at convincing them that it is only required for while under power only.

Old 03-04-2009
Courtney the Dancer

Hmmm, and I thought it was just a West coast thing.