Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-28-2009
Ticon 30

dbruce85 is on a distinguished road
Bladder as holding tank

On my P26, there is the original poly water tank, which is larger than I ever need. Under that is a bladder which is the "holding tank". I could fit two smaller poly tanks in the same area under the V Berth.
It is a project which I planned on doing someday, just wondering if keeping the bladder for a while longer is a bad idea.
It seems to be in good shape, but I have no ides how old it is.
Any sites I have seen on bladders, seem to recommend them as water tanks, not holding tanks.
Thanks,
David
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
We replaced our 6 gallon Nantua bladder holding tank which the PO installed so he could have a larger fresh water capacity with a solid 24 gallon tank to go along with the 80 gallon fresh water tank under the starbord settee. The baldder holding tank was a source of smells on our boat and was not very good and being ablie to pump out completely despite having a vent. I would not use a flexible holding tank and would look for alternative tanks such as one under the head or one custom made.

We went back to the original design and now have a rigid 24 gallon holding tank, new 101 trident hoses and all the odors have vanished. To replace the water volume loss. We installed a 36 gallon plastima flexible tank where the old bladder tank was.

Our fresh water deck is now got a "T" valve in it allowing us to fill the flexible tank first. The flexible tank is connected to the 80 gallon starboard tank and fills it when we want to carry 116 gallons of water by gravity, which is rarely as most of our sailing is weekends and we really do not need the extra weight. If we only want to fill the starboard and leave the flexible empty we simply close the "T" on the deck fill hose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-01-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I replace the original bladder holding tank on my Cal 9.2 with a rigid plastic tank after numerous problems - the main one being clogging of the vent causing the tank to blow up like a balloon. I would change it out ASAP.
Old 03-02-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Not a big fan of using bladders for holding tanks. Most aren't designed to handle waste, and they're difficult to vent, which leads to the growth of anaerobic bacteria—which are the cause of nasty holding tank odors. Also, the material of most flexible bladders will eventually permeate with sewage, leaving them very nasty smelling.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-02-2009
Ticon 30

dbruce85 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the advise.
Kind of confirmed what I was thinking, I best move that job up on the list.
David
Old 04-27-2009

SnowBunny is on a distinguished road
Pearson 26 holding tank question

Hi Bruce, I had the same problem -- flexible holding tank under the settee -- and am thinking of switching to a solid tank under the V berth. Can you let me know what you ended up doing, what kind of tank (size/make?) you got and if you are happy with it?

Thanks,

lisa
Old 05-11-2009

arafura is on a distinguished road
I've had what I feel is tremendous success with a flexible holding tank. It has been installed since 1986 and it's only been the last year when I started smelling hints of it's possible failure but I think it is more likely the hoses than the tank itself. When I am so inclined I can visually see my holding tank and on occaision curiousity got the best of me and I wanted to see if it indeed laid flat after a pump out....no problem there, completely flat...meaning empty.

I am going to replace all my hoses first and then if I still have the smell, if so I will replace the tank but I will probably do so with another flexible holding tank. I worked in the marine hardware industry back in the 80's and there DEFINITELY was a difference in the construction of a bladder tank for water and one for waste.... We sailed 15,000 miles in one year and never once had an issue with failure or smell so I may stand alone, but I'm a big fan of the bladder waste tank because of it's ability to fit into tight spaces. Our holds 75 gallons and could be a large mess if failure occurred.