SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Internal Halyards (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/5199-internal-halyards.html)

DWH 10-12-2002 05:54 PM

Internal Halyards

I have a 1975 Ericson 25 centerboard with external, wire halyards. I am considering installing the halyards inside the mast and going to rope halyards. Good idea? Bad idea? Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated. Thanks for your response

Belle-Vie 11-12-2002 07:28 PM

Internal Halyards

DWH, do you have mast head sheaves arranged to accommodate halywards inside the mast?

Terry

majoun 11-22-2002 06:15 AM

Internal Halyards

DWH
you''ll also need to change out the sheaves if you go to rope.
my current boat has an Isomat mast with internal halyards and I have never been happier.
JHA

pirateofcapeann 11-23-2002 04:57 AM

Internal Halyards

It''s my understanding that internal halyards make a lot of noise slapping against the inside of the mast, not to mention the added chafe. I suppose the reduction in windage may be worth it to some but I''d appreciate it if you''d just drop hook for the night somewhere else!

Jeff_H 11-23-2002 06:27 PM

Internal Halyards

Obviously you have never spent much time around boats with internal halyards. Actually I have had internal halyards on half a dozen boats over 25 years and have never had the halyards slap inside the mast. I also have not noted chafe on the halyards within the mast. The part of the halyard within in the mast usually looks new while the part of the halyard on the outside of the mast most of the time UV degrades. I usually have replaced halyards that have begun to sun rot or which have been chewed up where they are cleated off. The only halyard that I ever had chafe on anywhere else was an external halyard that chafed on a spreader bracket when tensioned under sail.

Respectfully,

Jeff

jodyeh 07-14-2008 07:03 AM

banging halyards

I have internal halyards and they bang when at anchor. i only hear them when I am trying to sleep. so what is up with that? something is loose inside the mast? have a freedom 32, 1984. any suggestions other than unstepping the mast? jody

Gary1 07-14-2008 07:29 AM

If laid out properly, internal halyards don't bang. They just have to be led down the center of the mast. Then, if they're tensioned, they can't touch anything unless the motion is pretty violent.

If you're hearing noises from an internal halyard mast, it's more likely to be the wiring that goes to your spreader, range and masthead lights, or the coax for the antenna. Getting rid of that noise can be done, but it requires jumping through a lot of hoops. My old Morgan and Island Breeze have conduits that lead up inside the mast for wiring, a chore that was accomplished when the masts were new, and before the cap on the mastheads were installed.

jbondy 07-14-2008 05:50 PM

Our halyards were rope/wire hybrids, with the wire matching the masthead sheaves. We replaced them with a rope/rope hybrid, with a smaller rope that could pass over the wire sheaves with no problem, spliced to thicker rope for us to handle. When at anchor, external halyards can be held away from the mast with bungees to the shrouds so there is no noise. We also went with rope lifelines (Amsteel).

chucklesR 07-14-2008 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jodyeh (Post 340947)
I have internal halyards and they bang when at anchor. i only hear them when I am trying to sleep. jody

Tighten them / Tension them so they don't hang loose and bang about.

A simple bungee cord to the shrouds on external halyards does the same thing, except in high wind they whistle, but then so is everything else.

RXBOT 07-14-2008 06:19 PM

Chuckles

Is really into 6 year old threads.