Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-28-2009

ajf10 is on a distinguished road
West Systems six10 epoxy

Has anyone had any experience with this product yet? It seems really cool. A cartridge that has resin and hardener in it, and the two mix completely in a mixer in the nozzle.

Its pretty pricey at $20.50 a cartridge, but for me might be sent from heaven, since I have to remove all my stanchions and both genoa tracks and then refill each hole with epoxy, then redrill. It would save me all kinds of headaches.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2009

Trickster is on a distinguished road
I cant say anything for the six10, but i have never had a bad experience with a West System product.

Cheers
Old 03-01-2009

preservedkillick is on a distinguished road
This past spring I had everything off the boat for painting so I did just this, except with the regular epoxy mixing. I do admit that this Six10 looks good. I wonder if the tube and tip would be a little big and inaccurate and messy? What I did was use 5cc plastic irrigation syringes to fill my holes and I found it worked great.

I quickly realized that you can't just blob some epoxy down the hole, it would leave voids that sometimes wouldn't rise to the surface. With the syringe I could fill the hole from the bottom up to eliminate voids. Granted I was using a home brew mix of resin and microfibers and I tend to mix it fairly thick. Even with my method, I had my wife follow me with toothpicks and give the mix a stir in the hole, and she did find a few voids I need to top-off after stirring.

Also, with the syringe, I could fill the hole exactly level with the deck, so no wiping up epoxy. Since I'm writing this much, might as well say that I pre-wet the hole edges with neat epoxy before filling.

So, back to the Six10 stuff, sounds like they have the formula down for viscosity, perhaps you could poke a small hole in the mixing tip that could accurately fill holes with. It would save time as long as it doesn't introduce a clean up mess for each hole.

I wouldn't flinch at the cost, with my method I mixed many small batches, and there was quite a bit wasted as the last of each batch went-off before I got it in the hole.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Seagrass
Boothbay Harbor, ME
Alberg 30:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-01-2009
Hinterhoeller HR28

pvanv1 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

We sell Six-10 in our store. Plus side, it's convenient. Down side, it's pricey. Bottom line, it works fine. Personally, I still use West 105 and appropriate hardeners and appropriate fillers. I also use Smith's CPES for penetration.
Buffalo, NY USA
Old 03-01-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I wonder if you could combine techniques and squirt the product from the Six-10 cartridge into a syringe, then use that to fill the hole from bottom to top?

I have my exterior cabin top rails removed for refinishing and I would like to pot the holes before I reinstall them. I also have interior hand rails that are also attached through the cabin top so I want to pot them at the same time.
Old 03-02-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Recommend you read the Special Interest Disclosure thread in the Boat Buying Forum before you get into trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvanv1 View Post
We sell Six-10 in our store. Plus side, it's convenient. Down side, it's pricey. Bottom line, it works fine. Personally, I still use West 105 and appropriate hardeners and appropriate fillers. I also use Smith's CPES for penetration.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-27-2009
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
I am looking to rebed my stanchions in the next few weeks. Has anybody used the Six10 system for this or would i be better off mixing my own
Old 04-27-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
West 6-10 is neat epoxy and I think you would be better to add some colloidal silica in to make it stronger. I would (and did). Just my opinion.