Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-01-2009
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Glassing over old through hull openings

While surveying my boat's plumbing, I've found that there's one old unused through hull and one old unused depth finding sensor. (At least that's what it looks like, though I don't know why someone would go to the trouble of making a new hole instead of replacing the existing sensor.)

Anyway, what's the process for glassing in an old through hull? I've never done any glass work ever, but is this something that a glass kit you'd buy from West Marine could take care of? Do you fill the hole with some kind of hardening putty, then just glass over the bottom, sand and repaint?

Or is this something best left to a pro if you've never done it before? Considering you need that hole to stay filled, I'd think "pro" in my case, but I'm still curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
jas use the west system guide for this its perfect for what you want. if you want some help doing it i can come down and help ya.

yes you have the basic idea, grind it out to a 12 to one taper then fill in layers with glass, fill then smooth and paint

edit if you have access to the inside you can also do the repair from the inside to have less to paint, but then the water pressure is pushing the patch in, not onto the whole. the best is do a couple of layers inside and more out side to form a sandwich

Last edited by scottyt; 03-01-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-01-2009

Keldee is on a distinguished road
Also if you get Don Casey- This Old Boat-chapter 6 on fiberglassing it is very helpfull if you have no idea.As scottyt says the west system guide is very good. Make sure you use epoxy.
Old 03-01-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
I think you have the right idea - this is the bottom of your boat, you can't afford a learning experience from making a mistake. Although the work is not technical or complicated, I'd have a pro do it. Find some other projects where you can learn how to use epoxy and fg where a mistake or two wouldn't carry such a downside.
Old 03-01-2009

sailing fool you would have had a cow if you saw the side of my boat. at the water line it had a 10 by 18 inch area of the gelcoat scrubbed off. after grinding it back to good glass and further i had a 24 by 36 inch taper that was in the center 12 by 18 area was just the last layer of glass . i left the last layer to have something to lay the new glass on. the repair has held fine including when i had to beach the boat and it laid on that side on the repair.

its not hard to do, if you follow directions.

jas i even have some of the strong filler left to thicken the epoxy with, you wont need much, so let me know if you want to do the repair i can give some to you
Old 03-01-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Is this true for large through-hulls too?
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 03-01-2009

bene this works for any hole. but if you go too big you need something to back it up to hold the cloth. a trick that works well is to lay some cloth on the hull right next to the hole on top of some saran wrap. when it gets like leather peel it off, mix a little more epoxy and spread it on the inside of hull around the hole, then put the leathery FG over the hole. work out the bulbs, and let it cure. this will give you a good back up for the repair. if the hole is say over 6 inches, just let the leathery piece cure till real stiff but still bendable. it should be flexible enough to match hull shape but be solid enough to hold its shape.

if the hole was over 6 inches i would feather out both sides first and use the leathery piece as the first layer on the inside.
Old 03-01-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Thanks, I think my large through hulls are maybe 1 1/2 inches in size. This is a great thread. Thanks.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!

Last edited by Bene505; 03-01-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-01-2009
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
What's a "12 to one taper"? Does that mean if the hole is 1 1/2 in diameter you grind an area 18" in diameter? Sounds kinda big. Do you fill the hole through the hull with anything?
Old 03-01-2009

nope it means 12 to one of the thickness of the hull, so a 1/4 inch thick hull would be 3 inches of taper past the edge of the hole

not being rude but go read west systems stuff i will edit with a link in a sec

edit link http://www.westsystem.com/ss/assets/...1practical.pdf

Last edited by scottyt; 03-01-2009 at 10:15 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.