SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Loose Footed Main

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  blt2ski 
#1 ·
I just switched boats to an Islander Bahama 24'. It came with the original mainsail which has one repair and is SERIOUSLY old. I also have a large racing-style kevlar mainsail that is much too large for the boat.

I am considering simply cutting the foot off of the kevlar main and making it my new loose footed main. I could also just run the old main until it blows out, and repair it repeatedly, but it is very old, thin, saggy and SLOW. Cost being a consideration, what would you do?

Buying a new main is probably not a viable option.

ISLANDER BAHAMA 24ISLANDER BAHAMA 24

#2 ·
If the kevlar sail is in good shape, sell it and buy an appropriately sized main sail for your boat.

#3 ·
Do a cost comparison... recutting vs selling and buying another (possibly used) sail that looks and fits better. It may be difficult to sell the old sail - whoever buys it will have the same issues unless they own the same boat the sail was built for......

#4 ·
Off the FX site, in conjunction with Sailnet, a basic dacron main can be had for around $900 with one reef, all partial battens, no insignia or boat numbers. Really not a bad $$ amount to spend. Of course, $900 for one person could be beyond there means, meanwhile another goes chump change!

Leads something to be said with the, sell the kevlar sail, and use that $$ to buy a sail that fits your rig!

You can get a 130 dacron inshore head sail for $700, a 155 $800. My feeling, for this little $ for a sail(s), new ones are cheaper than recutting the one you have, or trying to buy used ones not knowing what they may be like condition wise.

Marty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.