Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-02-2009

Islander30Bahama is on a distinguished road
Question Replacing Poo Poo System

I will start by saying removing an old holding tank that is full and was never emptied by the PO who assured me that it was is not a fun job. Made me go and then and then some more while all the while my dad was at me while trying to manuver a full (at least it was frozen) holding tank. Now that the old head system is out I am left with a choice. What kind of head to use to replace it with? Should I use a macerator or plumb it to add one later. Benefits of an electric head or a manual? Ease of maintanance on electric or manual? I will use a poly tankand have a y valve. I just want to make sure that I dont have a stinky situation in the future. Any input would be apprieciated.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2009
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
Nothing helpful here, but I have a funny story about boat poop. I once bought a boat from a lady with a full porta-potty. It was in great shape but it was full and I didn't need it. I took it off of the boat and as I did, wondering what in the world I was going to do with a full porta-potty, a friend motored by in his skiff. He was sort of a wheeler dealer who would buy & sell anything. I yelled at him and he cruised over so I offered him a nice porta-potty for free. One catch- it was full of his ex-wife's crap!
Yes, he took even more of her crap.
Old 03-02-2009

sailor25b is on a distinguished road
electric heads?

The ladies aboard my boat have asked me to replace my old Jabsco manual pump head. They want an pushbutton electric flush, just like they saw on other (newer, better, more expensive) boats. I defer to their wishes on these things.

I have looked around, and it seems there really isnt a good mid-price choice for an electric head, is there? I've looked at Raritan and Jabsco, and they seem to be made mostly of plastic. I doubt they'll last long.

...Not looking forward to THIS project!
Old 03-02-2009

AlanBrown is on a distinguished road
SWW, some guys will just keep coming back for more!

I30B, please allow me to ask a couple questions.

Why did you find it necessary to remove your holding tank? Was it broken in some way? Heads get replaced all the time, but replacing a holding tank is a most unusual undertaking.
Old 03-02-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd replace it with either a Raritan PHC/PHII or a Lavac. Both are pretty bulletproof and a good long-term investment. BTW, the primary difference between a PHC and a PHII is the pump handle. The PHC is designed to be more compact and fit in locations that the PHII will not.

I would plumb the head to dump directly to the holding tank, and then plumb the holding tank pumpout fitting to go to a diverter y-valve, one of which goes to the deck pumpout fitting and the other goes to a manual diaphragm pump and then to the seacock and through hull. If you do this, you can pump the holding tank out whenever you're out past the three-mile limit.

Electric heads, while convenient, aren't a good idea on a small sailboat, especially if it is your only head. If the electrical power or the macerator pump has problems, you're left with no head. On a boat with two heads, I generally recommend one be left as a manual unit, and the other made electric if an electric head is desired.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-02-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-02-2009

genieskip is on a distinguished road
I'm going to suggest that you look into the AirHead or similar composting toilets. No holding tanks, pumps, valves, through hulls etc. I put one in the after head on my boat and like it so much I just ordered another for the forward head (I know -two heads in a 40 footer is ridiculous, but I didn't design the boat). Anyway, no smell, love the room I got dumping two 20 gal holding tanks and all the 1 1/2 inch hose and all the pumps, "y" valves etc.

Check out their website, you might be surprised, though I'm not sure the female contingent would be enamored of the concept.
Old 03-02-2009

Siamese is on a distinguished road
We keep a 31 footer on the great lakes. I recently replaced our holding tank and toilet system with a porta-potti. Here on the great lakes we're never allowed to pump overboard...pumpout only.

Under these conditions, and our weekend and occasional longer cruise usage patterns, we've found the porta potti to be vastly superior. Easy to empty at the marina without ever having to wait for a pumpout / or pay for it.

We find it lasts longer than you'd think between emptyings.

Doesn't smell. Just use the recommended porta-potti de-stinker stuff.

Handles solid waste just fine. The toilet on our 2007 sailboat had a bowl exit diameter about the size of a silver dollar. There're a lot of turds that won't fit through that. Do I tell my guests not to crap bigger than that!?!?!

NEVER clogs and repairs are almost non-existant. The whole thing only cost 70 bucks.

I've heard that in a pinch it can be emptied anywhere there's gravity and nobody's looking, but of course I always follow the law.

Emptying isn't messy. Ours has a flip out emptying pipe thing that keeps you out of the line of fire.

We've used the porta for one Michigan season and we're stickin' with it.

Emptying it shouldn't embarrass you...it looks like you're carrying a plastic briefcase to the bathroom....if anybody makes fun of you, tell 'em your carrying the stimulus bill (or its equivalent).
Old 03-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBrown View Post
SWW, some guys will just keep coming back for more!

I30B, please allow me to ask a couple questions.

Why did you find it necessary to remove your holding tank? Was it broken in some way? Heads get replaced all the time, but replacing a holding tank is a most unusual undertaking.
The reason for replacing the holding tank and the rest of the system is that it is 28 years old. I am replacing all other systems I.E. Electrical, water (keeping the original water tank), converting engine to fresh water cooling,adding refridgeration and a compressed natural gas cooking system. I figure it best to replace the system now while I have eveything apart inside the boat. I will also be repainting every nook and cranny when the weather warms up as well as glassin in a couple of bulkheads that has water damage due to leaky ol windows and poor maintenance. This pretty much a complete refit. Future plans may include re enlisting in the Coast Guard and living on the boat in which ever place I would be stationed at. As far as cost goes I work at West Marine part time with my dad so I do get better pricing then the average Joe.

Have people on here had many problems with the Jabsco manual head as far as gaskets pump failures?

Jeff
Old 03-02-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Jeff,

I would keep it manual on a single head boat so that you do not have to worry about losing your head at a most in-opportune time. I have used and owned a variety of heads. The best head so far is, as Dog suggested, the Raritan PHII. However, it is quite a bit more of a pain to rebuild. LOTS of parts and a bit more daunting. The handle is also a bit more unusual due to its length, but it makes pumping easier. It is a relatively inexpensive head and pretty bullet proof.

If you really want something more comfortable, I would go back with a household size PHII. THat is what pop's has on his Tayana and it really is the nicest manual head I have ever used.

If you want an electric but also to have some "safety", purchase the jabsco head (the entry level one... cannot remember the name). You can also purchase the electric head modification for this head. Pull of the manual piece and save it. The electric conversion fits perfectly in there and is easy to hook up. You will then have what is actually a pretty good working head that even macerates before going to the holding tank (a big plus). Then, if you ever have a failure, you can pull off the electric piece and replace with teh manual pump to get you by.

I have done all of this so this is all first hand.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-02-2009

Thanks Brian,

So I have sketched out the possibilities and I believe I am going to use the Rartitan compact II manual head. Less wiring to do have to deal with. And following the the KISS theory will make for easier troubleshooting in the future. The crapper will go straight to tank. From the tank it will go to a Y valve that will go to the manual diaphram pump then to a thruhole valve to overboard. The other section of the y will go to a valve right under the deck discharge then out. I believe the vent comes off of the tank to a vent just under the toe rail.

How does that sound? questions, comments, dirty jokes?

Jeff