Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-04-2009

montenido is on a distinguished road
Battery Charger Died, Replacement Options?

Hi all, I was at the boat today and happened to notice the the lights on my battery charger were all out. I checked all the wiring in and out and couldn't find anything obvious (no customer servicable fuses, etc). It is an old WM 5 amp 3-stage charger. Not too fancy, but it actually seemed to work for what my needs are.

I want to replace it with something that has more charging amps and that can handle two banks of batteries. I have two house and two starting batteries, and would like to be able to top them off with my Honda 2000 generator while on the hook. I am open to all suggestions for a replacement charger, but I would like to keep the cost somewhat reasonable.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain

Last edited by montenido; 03-04-2009 at 12:33 AM. Reason: better choice of words
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2009
Ignoring Trolls in 2009

TxLnghrn is on a distinguished road
No Personal Experience

The Iota DLS chargers have been highly recommended here and on other sites. They seem very reasonably priced and will be what I go with on my electrical redo.

Michael
Hull #15
Old 03-04-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Here are my top three choices:
1) Xantrex
2) Xantrex
3) Xantrex.

Check this out, I have one of these on my boat, wouldn't swap it for anything else: Xantrex Technology Inc. - Boats - XC Battery Chargers - 12V & 24V - Product Information

Charges three different chemistries at three different levels of charge at the same time, needs only 750 watts of input power to work. Read the spec, you'll like it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 03-04-2009

midnightsailor is on a distinguished road
I have a Xantrex 20 on my boat and have installed several Xantrex 20's and 40's on other boats . I have been very happy with mine and so have the other boat owners who I installed them for. While I know there are several other equally good chargers out there , This is one I know I can recommend
Old 03-04-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd go with an Iota. They're far less expensive than the Xantrex and very decent quality.

Just curious, why do you have two starting batteries?? It would make far more sense to have one starting battery and three in the house bank. There's also need to go with a two bank charger for most setups, since the draws on a starting bank are relatively minimal. If you really want to do that, a better solution is to use an echo charger or battery combiner, with the echo charger being the preferred solution.

How large is your battery bank and what is the makeup of the batteries? Sizing the charger properly is important. IIRC, it should be about 20-25% of the battery bank size, if they're wet cells. Wet cells can't generally absorb more than that in the bulk charging phase, and going bigger will be a waste of money. AGMs usually have a much higher acceptance rates, so a larger charger can be useful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-04-2009 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-04-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
I put in Promariner ProSport 12 charger. 3 Stage charger. Handles dual banks. Works great. Easy installation. You could step up to the ProSport 20 easily enough. I just saw in my Bass Pro Shop flyer that the 12 is CDN$99 (~US$75!!).

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 03-04-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
When I remove my Xantrex Freedom 15 tomorrow (1500W inverter, 75A charger, 15A (or is it 10A?) echo charger built in, to replace it with a Freedom 25, I'll gladly sell it to you for $600. It works great, but I needed more charging capacity myself for our new 800AH bank.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 03-09-2009

montenido is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the great suggestions folks. Labatt, I appreciate the offer (really) but I ordered a Xantrex truecharge2 40 amp. From what I read, it should quickly top off my batts with my generator. SD, I have no idea why I have two starting batteries. I will look at them next time I am at the boat. Maybe I will end up adding the third battery to my house bank. Not too sure of the sizes, I should have noted that before posting. They are all maintenance-free.

Thanks for the input. I'll post again when I install the Xantrex.

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Old 03-10-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Montinedo

Good choice. I went with the identical truecharge2 40 amp last year. Compact footprint...great features. Especially the equilization one, which most cheaper chargers do not have. If you do this once a month and knock of the deposits on your plates itill help your batteries last longer. Have been very happy with it.

I also purchase the Xantrex $120 echo charger this year to install. After listen to Saildog and others here I beleive that it is the most efficient way to set up your electrical system and achieve the largest usable housebank, while insuring a fully charged engine battery. I have a group 27 staring battery with a house bank of 6 Trojan 105 giving me 660 amph. Our electrical "diet" averages about 120 amp per day ( most of this is refrigeration) so without any charging from the engine or Honda 2000 generator we can go 3 days easily.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-03-2009

catalinamike is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Xantrex truecharge 20--stoped working & lousy customer service

Purchased in 2007, 2 years only, my Truecharge 20 stop working.

I tried to get service, I got attitude and was told it was not worth fixing, not even a service centre that would not want to service it.
One year warranty.

I purchased a ProMarnier-very helpful service, 30 month warranty.
Made in USA, not CHINA!